1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

iPhone 5 ... anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Biggbass, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Biggbass

Biggbass

My cellular contract is up for renewal so it's time to get a new phone. At the house we have all Apple computer products, iPad 2, and my wife has the iPhone 4. Ive held out with an android up to now but am thinking it's time to get the iPhone.
    iPhone 4s are cheap right now but also considering the 5.

Anyone got the iPhone 5 and are you happy with it?
    Compared to an iPhone 4, or 4S, any preference?
  2. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I have an iPhone 5. There's a 4" screen on the iPhone 5. Some functions and Siri instructions only work with the 5. Then again, I've moved up from the 3GS so everything the iPhone 5 does is new to me.

I don't know about the mobile plans in your area, but they're already offering $0 iPhone 4S with a contract at some companies in my region.
  3. faviobarrio

faviobarrio Supporting Member

I have the 5 up from the 4S. The bigger screen is more of a hindrance if you're used to the older one...harder to reach things one handed. Also, the movement of the headphone jack to the bottom from the top is still a bit annoying. Lastly, there's the new cable. I really like the new cable but all the other iProducts I currently have use the old cable...just a touch annoying too.

The killer feature, for me at least, is the 4G internet. If you don't need that, the 4S is fine I think.

All IME, IMHO and of course YMMV.
  4. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I moved from the 4 to the 5 and I couldn't be happier. I love the bigger screen, the LTE is awesome, it runs really smoothly, is light (I didn't think this would matter to me, but now my wife's 4 feels like lifting a brick). IMO, if the only thing was the bigger screen, I would still do it for that reason alone.

lowsound
  5. faviobarrio

faviobarrio Supporting Member

Oh...the battery life is better too. I guess the extra length allows for bigger battery.
  6. tplyons

tplyons

I have the 5 and love it. LTE is the reason I went for the 5 and haven't looked back.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I went from a Droid X to the 5.

Overall, I like the phone better. But...there are a lot of little things that annoy the crap out of me. Things that Android devices have had for years and Apple still doesn't. It makes all of the Apple fanboi crap even funnier to me.

Android has Swype for text input. It's fantastic. Apple has nothing like it, just a standard keyboard. Coming from Swype, using the iPhone makes text input mind numbing. Especially anything more than a few words.
  8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

You can jail break your phone and install it. I did that, but I didn't like it and took it off after fumbling through it for a month trying to get used to it.

lowsound
  9. AaronMB

AaronMB

iOS can handle some pretty cool audio applications (amp simulators, etc). I've been happy with my ol' 3GS but it's slowly becoming dated; I'd love an excuse to upgrade (tough though, as I've finagled pay as you go and cheap internet on the 3GS).
    I migrated from a cell phone with the number typing (whatever that was called) to the iPhone so any text input has been a welcome and easy transition. I'm not a texter but I've no troubles throwing down plenty of WPM if I need to.
  10. dmusic148

dmusic148

It's not the same as the real Swype, which is only available on Motorola droids. The knockoffs such as the one available for HTC droids(Slideit) just don't compare. I've used both.
    My new RAZR Maxx HD is simply stunning, with a battery that just won't die. Love it. The iPhone is cool too, but I'm a Droid guy. Carry on.
  11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

If you have other current Apple gear, you will lose the ability to use the chargers between them because of the new-fangled connector Apple has on the 5. The 5 is physically larger, may be harder to use.

Personally, unless you really really have to have the latest thing, I feel that the 4S is definitely the best bargain - especially since it seems that a new phone is coming later this year.
  12. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I I'll be getting a 5 soon from my company. It will be my first smart phone.
  13. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

My receptionist has one. It is so light and thin and performs like an iPhone. Need I say more? I have a 4 with two years on contract; Jiminy Cricket!
  14. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

+1 go with a LTE phone.
  15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

There is a new iPhone every year.
  16. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

It's like crack.
  17. Earache

Earache

I love my 5.
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Every 6 months, actually.

I got an iPhone 5, used it for a week then gave it to my wife and took her 4S.

Didn't really like the larger screen and the 4S was JailBroken and I have a lot of great JB tweaks on it. (iP5's can't be jailbroken yet).
  19. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

No, the 4 can out is August of 2010, the 4s came out in September is 2011 and the 5 came out in October of 2012. How does that equal 6 months between releases? By my count it is 13 months.

lowsound
  20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Please try the Samsung GS3 . I looked hard at the GS3 and the iPhone 5 and went with the GS3. I could explain why it's a better phone, and get in an internet debate, but instead let me just say - please don't buy the hype - research the reviews and then try them out.