iPhone case: What do I want?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rojo412, Mar 10, 2014.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    So after MANY years with my completely outdated stupidphone, I decided to pull the trigger on an Apple iPhone 5C.

My stupidphone was rugged and I liked that. I'm clumsy, so the phone got dropped a lot. But after 5+ years, it still works great. So that's the kind of durability I'm after.

I've seen the OtterBOX phone cases and those look pretty decent. I can find them on eBay for about $25 shipped.

There's a company called "Lifeproof" that I see is quite durable-looking... as it should be for $65+! I don't know if I want to go that high, though.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what I should look for? I don't NEED fire/waterproof, but resistant, for sure.
    If there's a halfway decent case that is less expensive, or a sweet case for less than the Lifeproof, I'd love to know what to look for. I'm new to this game, so I don't know jack.

Any help and recommendations are quite welcomed and thanks in advance.
  2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

OtterBoxes are basically indestructible. Everyone in my company that does construction review for heavy construction has one, no one has broken a phone.

lowsound
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The guys from Cell Helmet were on Shark Tank. The cases withstood some abuse and come with a nice guarantee. You can find a $10 off coupon online which makes it $40.

-Mike
  4. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of my Otterbox. Indestructable, yes, but the little rubbery outer seal started to gap at the edges less than 60 days after I bought it and subsequently isn't "water resistant." When I called them to see if I could get a replacement, they told me "it's what happens over time" and they declined to replace it.

Next phone case I get will be a Mophie Juice Pack. Not entirely indestructable, but the case holds a charge so you get more battery life on your phone.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

No case.

#yolo
  7. mrproductreview

mrproductreview

If you want a rugged protective case then the Otterbox Defender(Armour not for 5c) and Griffin Survivor are the most protective by a mile. They are almost indestructible but they are chunky and will cost you about $50. They aren't waterproof but somewhat water resistant. The Lifeproof cases aren't good in my opinion.

Although they are slimmer and lighter they are not as protective and you don't need the waterproofness anyway which fails eventually on them anyway. I wouldn't recommend buying from ebay especially if it looks too good to be true because of the amount of fakes.

If you really need the protection the Otterbox or Griffin is worth it. One fall in a bad case could completely break your phone. Not a risk I like to take.
  8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I have a case on my 5S simply so I can lay it down on my desk at work. Otherwise I'd have to be super gentle each time I put it down. If I had a 5C, I wouldn't want a case. As long as you keep it in a pocket with nothing else in it, you're good to go.

It really depends on what you need and how careful you are. I've had iphones for years and never once dropped it. I've kept them all without a case and never damanged them.

The lifeproof cases are a pain in the butt. They muffle your voice when you're on the phone and unless you go fishing often, I don't see the point.

Otterboxes are just bulky.
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    I've been using one of the less expensive Ballistic cases on my 4s for two years and it's held up well. I'd buy another.

The Tough Jacket seems to be the one I have.
  10. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

11. bassist11

bassist11

Check out Switcheasy cases. They have many different types from lots of protection to minimal protection. They are all very reasonably priced though and shipping is fast.

I bought the Switcheash Numbers case for my iPhone 5C and have no complaints.
  12. groooooove

groooooove

any basic case will be enough protection. i drop my phone pretty regularly, have had the same iphone (4) for a few years now- it's still in mint condition.

my vote goes to a legit screen protector for $10 or whatever they cost, and a $10 or so cheap case just to protect from impact. i've had that setup all along and if i take both off my phone looks literally brand new.
  13. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I ended up getting the Otterbox on ebay. It was $24 shipped and they were $50 at the store, so I think that should work well for me.

Thanks for the advice, TB bredderen!
  14. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Otterbox Defender series. I got mine for $15 on buy.com
  15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i have a batman open front case, because everybody in my family apparently thinks it's 86 and i like that sort of thing, it's not super armor like an otter, but i've dropped the phone a bunch and it hasn't broken, i didn't like the otter, because it was constantly getting lint and sand in between the clear screen protector and the touch screen
  16. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Good choice, I use the Otterbox Commuter, had one on my iPhone 4 and have one on my iPhone 5. I can't tell you how many times I have bounced my phones off the pavement and never broke a screen.
  17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I've got an OtterBox. Let me tell ya, it'll protect your phone, but it is uncomfortable to carry around in your pocket if your pants are even a hair tight.
  18. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

To use phone as brick:Otterbox
    To use phone as brick but a lot grippier and feels good in the hand and all the ports are covered:griffin
    For power:mophie or exopower (something like that)
    For waterproof and all that good stuff:life proof or obex
    My favorite for casual with a good feel and protects:a speck.... Yea brother thats my list
  19. fraublugher

fraublugher

I-Phone protector-cases at the dollar store .
    You owe me $57.
  20. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    HAHA! Nice.
    I did see a slew of them at 5 Below (The $5 store), but didn't know if they fit the 5C... but a buddy with a 5S let me try his case and it did fit.

Had I known, I may not have gotten the otterbox... but it was only 5 cheap cases worth for that, so I'm not out much. And I get to be a sadist to my phone!
  21. tplyons

tplyons

I use Incase Slider cases... I've had them on every iPhone I've owned since my first 3G model. I've been nothing but happy with them.

As far as Mophie cases go... I use the external Mophie Juice Pack external battery, but not the case. The cases can be a bit bulky unless you wear baggy pants.