1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

iPod into MixWiz 16:2 balanced TRS... how?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

My MixWiz has an ST2 channel with unbalanced L & R inputs. I know I can run the iPod through that with the right cables.

The only control on ST2, however, is level. I would like to run the iPod into channels 15 & 16 so I can take advantage of the channel EQs, mutes, gain, HPF etc.

The problem is, the iPod output is 2-conductor unbalanced and the channel 15 & 16 line inputs are TRS balanced. I can get them to work by plugging a TS in about halfway but that's not cool because it tends to pry the contacts apart inside the board (because of the extra weight of the plug sticking out too far and the fact that it's only being held by two of the internal contacts instead of three).

Is there a way to make a cable that will go from the iPod (3-conductor unbalanced stereo miniplug) to a pair of 3-conductor balanced 1/4" TRS?

[edit - PROBLEM SOLVED] For anyone else wondering about this:
    To make a long story short, I discovered the "problem" was the the Pad button up top near the little red Gain knob must be pushed in. It does double-duty as a switch between the XLR and TRS Line In socket for the channel. This applies to Allen & Heath MixWizard 16:2 versions 3 and 4. For version 2 of the board the Pad button does not disengage the TRS Line In socket.

I pushes lil' button, is works good nao.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Radial PRO AV2 is made specifically for this purpose. Plug your consumer device into one end, and run XLRs out the other end to the board. It even does the impedance matching for you.

[​IMG]
  3. Rockin Mike

That's a pretty cool little box.
    So the iPod output needs to be electrically adapted?
    Bummer, I was hoping the right kind of cable would do the trick.
  4. uhdinator

uhdinator

Hmmm....
    Never had a problem running 3.5mm stereo to dual TS into mix wiz or Onyx line inputs.
    line inputs should work with TS or TRS.
  5. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    Not really - it's only if you want to be "proper" about it. I run my iPod into two channels of my mixer all the time. I use TS plugs and it works fine. You probably can, too.

One of these will probably work fine.

[​IMG]
  6. Rockin Mike

That's what I have but I get almost no signal unless I seat the TS plugs only halfway in.
    Then I have issues with bending the contacts inside the board.
  7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Can you solder? Make a cable with only the ring and sleeve connected on the mixer end.
  8. Rockin Mike

I can solder. That was basically the gist of my original question, if nobody makes such a cable, would I damage my equipment if I hacked one up myself.

The 1/4" socket on channel 16 is already bent and flaky.
    Can such a cable be made going from stereo mini-plug to 2 XLRs?
    How would one wire such a thing?
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

into two channels? you do have the ipod dimed, right? you should be getting all kinds of signal with the plugs all the way in.

hate to even ask, but you're not accidentally plugging into the channel inserts, are you?

i run my mixwiz 2 by using a rapco interface box that gives me mono balanced out, into the mono in of ST2 (i don't have the channels to spare for ipod playback, and my board is set up mono with compressed vocals on one side, un-comp'ed instruments on the other, so separate L-R ST2 in is a no-go.)

the two in, one out box gives me just enough gain into ST2 to get full volume out of the ipod in the system.

(edit: it also avoids the no-no of just summing the two sides of the ipod into one output with a cable that just puts tip and sleeve together; that stresses the output drivers on the ipod itself, as they try to push signal into each other.)
  10. Rockin Mike

iPod is all the way up, they are definitely going into the line ins, they are clearly marked and I understand the difference between a line in and an insert.
    They are TRS sockets. I can feel two clicks when I seat the cable all the way. According to the manual they expect balanced mono input, so 2-click TRS is proper.
    It's just that when it's seated all the way I get virtually no signal, as if it's just bleeding in.
    When I pull the TS plug out to just the first click, I get normal signal, but bent input jack contacts.

On my board ST2 expects unbalanced TS and the TS plugs work fine there, but I don't have the fine control I have going into channels 15 & 16.
  11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. ^^^ This - or use one of the two stereo bus inputs on the MixWiz 16:2.
  12. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

If you are worried about phantom power or anything consider the Radial box or the one I use - the Whirlwind PodDI which can take RCA and 1/8 stereo in. You can adjust the level of the outputs too evenly - per side - it sends one mono xlr (pan it center) male send to the board.

I got it for when I'm doing hodge podge sound for the local youth agency - and we need a 50 ft run from the ipod to the board. I wanted the direct box part though to protect it from phantom power being supplied from the board.

Also - I can use it with anything - dvd players, projectors, ipods, video game systems - etc.
  13. TimmyP

TimmyP

Look again - you are in the inserts. I've done it myself. If not, there's something wrong with the line inputs.

I use the Aux Returns - they have a fat channel.
  14. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I like this idea. Of course, if you get the Radial PRO AV2, the problem is solved, and correctly so.
  15. WayneP

WayneP

Like it’s been suggested, make sure you’re not using the inserts. On the Mixwiz, the line-in TRS jack is right above the XLR. I’ve never seen a TRS line input that wouldn’t work with a TS plug. Ever.

Think about this: If it doesn’t work with your iPod into the TRS inputs with TS plugs, then nothing else in the system using a TS should work either. IOW, if you’re plugging a guitar or keyboard straight into the mixer and it works, then there’s no reason it shouldn’t work with the iPod too.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly

16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1, yeah I agree. I have a MixWiz 16:2, and a work drawer full of DI’s - but I still just use an insert cable to plug MP3 players into 2 channels on most mixing consoles. But I use a line DI to take audio from TV feeds and etc - without it, there is way to much noise.
  17. but_ch

but_ch Supporting Member

I have lost an iPod due to phantom power. I was at a practice and we wanted to listen to a section of a song. We took a TRS to XLR cable and put on a reducer to get to 1/8" and plugged it in. That was the last time that iPod worked. There was no isolation from the phantom power.

Do your wallet a favor and use some kind of DI, even if it's a cheap one.
  18. ggunn

ggunn

Nevertheless, you are plugging into the inserts. A TRS line input will take signal off the T and short R to S when you plug a TS into it.

In insert sends on the T and receives on the R. That's why it works when you pull the TS plug partway out and contact the T of the plug with the R of the jack.
  19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

that wouldn't have worked right even without the phantom power cooking your ipod!

the out is TRS stereo, two different unbalanced signals.

balanced inputs take the same signal on tip and sleeve, but reversed polarity from each other to cancel noise.

sending that into one balanced XLR would have just put your two signals together out of polarity with each other, canceling out most of it.
  20. but_ch

but_ch Supporting Member

Well it worked in the past in that situation. That time, however, the phantom power was on.