1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

IPR1600 vibrates like crazy!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bumperbass, Oct 5, 2012.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass

Well, my great experiment tonight fizzled out. I had a preamp and parametric EQ, and there was that IPR1600 which was in my PA rack, unused since my acoustic band quit playing.
    I hooked it all up and it sounded pretty good. I was playing around with my parametric EQ and BUZZZZZZZ. I thought at first it was a few unplugged XLR connectors inside the rack lying on metal causing it, but NO!, it was coming from the interior of the IPR1600 chassis!
    There's no way I'll have time to check this out by tomorrow evening.
    I was trying to lighten the load a bit, ya know?
    Anybody have this problem? Yikes!
    I looked at the owner's manual and there's no specification listed for anything like:
    'Chassis Buzz...................-60 dB below Jet Aircraft @ 30 feet'.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I have two IPR1600 and use them all the time, no sound from the chassis at all. Are you sure nothing fell inside or got sucked in by the fan?
  3. bumperbass

bumperbass

I checked about an hour ago. Nothing in there. It's definitely the board or the caps. I didn't even have it that loud. I was in my garage just giving the setup a pre-gig checkout for tomorrow night. I need to take it apart anyway to do something about that awful blue light show in there. Glad yours work for you.
  4. B-string

Maybe Bobby from Peavey will happen by. Can't imagine what would buzz inside the chassis??
  5. bumperbass

bumperbass

Hope so. It'll drive me crazy so I might have to take the top off tomorrow (today).
    I bought a few speakon connectors to do the bridge thing. Can't imagine how you use two of them.
    Now I want to buy one of the DSP models. I want to check out how effective the HP filter setting is on them, though. If the HPF works well, that's worth 100 smackers by itself (comparing to the fdeck, which I'm tempted to buy). Take care.
  6. B-string

I use a DBX DriveRack so I have no need for the DSP. Hope you get it sorted quickly!
  7. B-string

Found his user name if you want to PM him: BbbyBld
  8. bumperbass

bumperbass

Thanks, B. Much appreciated.
  9. B-string

Your welcome! :)
  10. rpsands

rpsands

Couple guys had these with buzzing lids
  11. bumperbass

bumperbass

Could be, rpsands. One of the first things I did was put my hand on it.
    Thanks for your input.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Do a search. There's a thread that speaks directly to the IPRs and how to make sure their vibration free.
  13. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

Sounds like the fan is faulty, or the shroud over the fan intake is loose and vibrating or fluttering.
  14. bumperbass

bumperbass

Thank you! OMG, I think I have a solution...rubberized roofing left over!
    I can't wait until I don't have to fiddle with this thing again. Making the bridging speakon jumper was one thing, and now this. Guess that's what you get for this much power at this low a price. Still worth it.
    I just wonder if this would void the warranty?
    Still, much appreciated!
  15. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

When I put mine back together after fixing the flapping fan shroud, I covered every metal-to-metal joint with electrical tape. I also stuffed some foam blocks under the circuit board to dampen it. No rattles now, even sitting on top of the bass cabinets.
  16. bumperbass

bumperbass

All good, guys. May as well do it all while it's ripped apart. Thanks a lot!
    BTW, just for curiosity, are you guys running yours in bridged mode?
    If you are, you're running both channels wide open for balancing?
  17. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If sitting on top of a bass cab vibrates the amp, something is dodge with the bass cab, should be rigid enough to not be doing that.
  18. bumperbass

bumperbass

I don't think so. The cabinet is not made of granite, but I get your point.
    Wood vibrates.
  19. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

I run a short cable from A channel passthrough to B channel input. No bridge mode.
  20. bumperbass

bumperbass

Thought I'd give whoever cares, an update on my issues with this amp.
    First off, let me say, if I had it to do all over again, I'd go for a Crown XLS1000 or 1500.
    This thing was a nightmare, and I still won't know till tomorrow whether it's giggable in a rack on top of my GKNEO212.
    1. What's up with those rubber fan mount pass-through things? Holy moly what a cheap setup.
    The entire fan was just SITTING THERE, ready to vibrate. I did away with that and glued nuts on to the inside of the fan and used screws.
    2. Those slot stand-offs were not holding the circuit board tightly and there was a slight bit of play, causing a rattle. I had to put a 1/2" piece of electrical tape on each one of them and then I put the board in and noticed it's a lot tighter.
    3. The two large filter capacitors towards the front weren't soldered while the caps were forced flat against the board. They actually vibrated from the space between them and the board. I had to shove two layers of a transistor mica insulator in there and then added some silicone sealant to secure them.
    4. The entire chassis is so thin, it's gonna vibrate at some resonant frequency. All I need to do is bang it lightly with my hand and there's a 'toowaaang' sound to it. This was AFTER I added electrical tape to every single place where metal touches metal.
    I've bought TONS of Peavey gear. TONS. I was an authorized service tech for many years, but that was back in the day when their gear was darned near indestructible; the 'fall out of the back of a pickup and still work' days.
    My last purchase was a Tour 450, which I still use. I was going to buy a IPR3000DSP, but not now.
    I'll spend a little more for something else, either a Crown or QSC.
    Peavey doesn't offer a bass player much choice these days. You can either buy a VB-3 or a Headliner. Nice choices, Peavey. Their Tour 410 cabs weigh 68 lbs. Even the Tour 210 is 46 lbs.
    Neither of these is available it seems. That means going with a Headliner cabinet. To that I say "Are you serious". IMO, except for the VB heads, Peavey isn't catering to bass players.