iRealB

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by skipper, Oct 30, 2012.

1. skipper

skipper

My bass teacher showed me the iRealB app on his smart phone, and I think it would be helpful to me. I don't own any Apple devices, however, and I am reluctant to invest in them for the purpose of having the app available to me. My cell phone is simply a phone, and my computer is a PC.

There was a thread recently about apps of this sort, but I am not very adept with technology. So I was wondering if there is a way to access iRealB on a PC or, failing that, if a software could be recommended that has similar features to iRealB. I especially liked the full accompaniment and the way the chords were highlighted as the music moved from bar to bar.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
  2. longfinger

longfinger

There is Band In a Box for Windows. It's been around since the 1990's and is basically what the folks at iRealB are modelling their product's functionality after, except for the mobile OS.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.htm

It is more expensive, but it is also more powerful, and better sounding.
  3. powerbass

powerbass

If you do get Band In A Box Google search for BIAB Jazz standards and you will find most of the Real Book tunes for BIAB
  4. plarry

plarry

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bobsax

bobsax

Ipod Touches are great devices. You might save a bit getting a used one but don't go back too far. Mine is not the latest model and it works great but I think the app won't work on older models.
    I've posted some exercises on the forums
    http://irealb.com/forums/showthread...t-Hand-gt-Strength-Stretch-Position-exercises
  7. plarry

plarry

Sure, very good point!

And you can find great iPod Touches on the Apple Refurb Store, perfect condition, tested, new battery, 1 year full warranty... 27% off.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch --not a sponsored link ;)
  8. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

iRealB is awesome!! Why not get a cheap, used first generation iPad for it?
  9. bobsax

bobsax

I would say that an iPad would be be a better investment if you want to put the work into getting real books and charts etc into it.
    My piano player (they tend to be geeks;) entered all the books into the Unrealbook app so you can type your search in but I have a bunch of other pdf books. They just take a little longer to find the song.

As for irealb the ipod touch is just as good as the iPad for playback. If you want to do your own charts the touch is a little more tedious.

I take my EUB to the park with the ipodtouch and my MicroCube Bass to practice when it's nice.
  10. hgiles

hgiles

Yeah. Id try to find an Ipad gen 1 ... cheap and works great for all my musical needs.