1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

iRiffPort experiences?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Nov 16, 2012.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Looking for comments on the iRiffPort device for connecting to iPhones and iPads - the price has come down considerably (probably because they need to blow out the old connector models) and it's looking like it might be my best bet for using my iPhone 4S as a practice and recording tool.

I picked up an iRig Stomp but am totally unimpressed with the sound quality, so I'm looking at devices that use the accessory port instead of the audio connector.

There hasn't been a lot of discussion about these - can anyone offer up their experiences?

2. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Yeah, $60.00 down from $100.

Maybe with all the new iPhone/iPad interfaces coming out they are just going to end it.

Check out, for example, the Foucusrite iTrack Solo.

But, if it sounds good and you only need your instrument input and want extreme portabality, it looks like it is worth a try. Get it at Sweetwater or similar and return it if you don't like it.

3. HeavyDuty

iRiffPort incoming...

4. fbny71

fbny71

Me too I couldn't pass it up at 60 down from 100. I have an iPad 3 so the connector works just fine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HeavyDuty

Mine gets delivered today!

7. fbny71

fbny71

That's funny...so does mine!

8. fbny71

fbny71

I just picked mine up from the office this morning. It certainly seems to be a bit more heavy duty with regard to construction when compared to the iRig. Can't wait to try it out.

9. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

The iphone 4S and ipad 3 are very potent machines. Way more than meets the eye.

What software are you guys running?

10. fbny71

fbny71

I haven't tried it on my iPad 3 yet but I have the AmpliTube software with the Fender package. I also have the free version of the AmpKit software. However I just recently bought the PocketGK software because of the slowdown feature and instant access to your music.

I plan on using it mostly with the PocketGK for practice but I used to run my bass into the iRig with the AmpliTube software into whatever amp I was unhappy with at the cheap hourly rehearsal studio so it is conceivable that I could end up using it like that again or maybe even live...

11. adambomb

adambomb

I do not have the iriffport but I do use Amplitube IOS/iPad 2 live constantly and it is a beautiful sounding piece of software. We aren't allowed to use amps on stage with no amp "closet" so this was my solution to the DI'ing a bass to FOH issue. Total tone control...before it reaches the soundboard to eq the room.

12. HeavyDuty

I'm impressed with the iRiffPort and PocketGK as a practice tool. It's *much* quieter than the iRig Stomp I tried and returned.

And now I get to try it on an iPad - the wife took pity on me and ordered one as a Yule gift. I'll need a Lightning to 30 pin adapter, but pocketlabworks says it's no problem.

13. fbny71

fbny71

I find it much quieter and more usable too. I will try to use it at practice...assuming I ever get the band going again!

14. Duke21

Duke21

Same here. I use Amlitube iOS (Actually I've Amplitube, Ampkit, GK app, Jamup Pro XT, Garageband) a lot with both iPad 1, and now with iPad Mini. I've used the iRig before, and I did like it. Liked it just as much as my Sansamps. Now I use the Apogee Jam which is a major improvement compares to the iRig. My guess is that the iRiffPort will be a good solution.

15. Duke21

Duke21

The iRig stomp is using the analog/ headphone jack. It is at least as limited as the iRig. I can't understand why IK Multimedia is still using this connection for their app! The App is so much better then the interface....
    The only way to go in order to get the most out of ANY of these apps is to use the 30pin interface.

16. jtroska

jtroska

Is latency of any significance with these products?

I'm thinking the iRiffPort could be a quick/easy solution to making demo reel video clips to score auditions. I could play my bass to a backing track and patch the line-out into my camcorder.

But it would be unacceptable if it made it sound like I was playing 40ms behind the beat.

17. HeavyDuty

I haven't noticed any latency, but I'm not recording either.