1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

iRig HD vs Apogee Jam

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by yabune, Aug 10, 2013.

1. yabune

yabune

Hi,

I would like to buy a bass guitar interface for Mac/iPad/iPhone and I don't know if I'll go to a iRig HD or a Apogee Jam.
    They look the same, I only found 3 differences:
    - iRig HD is a bit cheaper
    - iRig HD has lightning cable. For apogee jam you have to buy separately
    - iRig HD has a gain control range of 26 dB. Apogee Jam goes up to 40 dB of gain.

Is this gain difference important? Does it make a difference?

Thanks!

2. Latitude94941

Latitude94941

Hi, Yabune,

I haven't tried the iRig HD, but have the Apogee Jam and am very happy with it. I also auditioned another mobile interface (forgot which one) and the Apogee was far superior. An additional point: I've always had great interactions with Apogee's technical support staff, located in Santa Monica, CA (never needed it for Jam, but I also am a satisfied owner of one of their A/D converters.)

3. refbassist

refbassist

The jam has too many votes in here, search for ios bas players thread very useful info there, i bought line6 sonic port recently and i'm very happy with it, i think you should check it out.

4. yabune

yabune

Thank you Latitude94941, Apogee Jam is my first choice, but since the release of iRig HD, I was thinking if for a cheaper price I wouldn't have the same product. But Apogee really seems to be a quality product.

refbassist, I've also looked to line6 sonic port, and it seems also a great product. But it's not possible to connect to a Mac, isn't it? Only iOS?
    I will search for ios bass players, thank you for the tip.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

7. refbassist

refbassist

Not possible to connect to MAC or PC i'm hoping
    they come up with an update at some point, not sure it's even possible.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Through the IOS camera port USB adaptor many USB interfaces are compatible.

9. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I've got an Apogee Jam as well, I've got no complaints when using it. It sounds fantastic and does exactly what I need it to do.

I wouldn't mind trying the iRig HD but I don't see myself switching or buying it in addition to the Jam I already own.

10. yabune

yabune

Thanks for the links.
    I will follow the threads.
    I just post a reply in the desktop discussion.

11. yabune

yabune

Ok, I decided to buy the Apogee Jam, it looks a good equipment.

Do you think I won't have any quality loss by using a 30-pin to a lightning port adapter to connect it to the ipad?

12. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Just be careful what adapter you get. I've seen reports of the cheapie ones not working for audio.

And congrats on the Jam. You will love it.

13. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm using the Apple 30 Pin to Lightning adapter and it seems to work pretty well, but I haven't tried anything else.

14. vstrings

vstrings

I own an iRig and I cannot say I was overly impressed.
    Also, I found AmpliTube for iOS quite unreliable.

Last December I bought an Apogee Jam during a holiday in Texas and I am very happy with it.
    I find the Gain control on it very helpful.
    I can also use it with a MacBook Pro and I find that to be a bonus.

I made a short video with my Apogee Jam and an iPhone 4S this weekend, you can watch it and listen to the Jam here.

Hope this helps...

15. yabune

yabune

Thank you vstrings!
    Did you record the video and sound (using Apogee) with the iPhone 4S at the same time? Is it possible?

Thanks!

16. vstrings

vstrings

Oh yes, this is possible using just the basic iPhone Camera app, set to record video.
    The iPhone Camera app recognizes the Apogee Jam as an input.
    Very handy when I test basses in shops and want to compare them with other basses later at home.

I understand the Apogee Jam would work as an audio interface with iMovie, too - which can be cool if you own an iPad. (I don't.)

17. IK Obi

IK Obi

We have something just around the corner that no longer puts us toe to toe with the competition, but head and shoulders above. Stay tuned, its going to be an interested weekend...

18. MotorCityWest

MotorCityWest

+1 for Apogee Jam.

I can not compare to iRig HD, but the original iRig was used for a few months before I bought the Apogee.

While nothing was really wrong with the iRig, I've just been happier with the Jam.

To me:
    Jam had less static/feedback noise
    Jam had 30pin and usb connect which was better than normal headphone jack.
    Jam's gain control seemed more responsive and the overall sound was just better in my opinion.

The Amplitube software on iphone and ipad is awesome when it works, but it isn't the most stable app I've used and it seems picky about importing songs.

19. mfh

mfh

My iRig HD works and sounds great unlike the original iRig that connects via the headphone jack. I chose the iRig HD over the Jam simply because the iRig HD ships with a lightning cable in the box.

20. vstrings

vstrings

I guess what IK Obi was referring to is this new product.

21. IK Obi

IK Obi

Yup, iRig Pro. XLR, 1/4" and MIDI inputs with full phantom power AND it includes all 3 cables needed. Lightning, 30 pin and USB connections for on the go or at home in the studio. Works with all modern Apple products, 47 db of gain and comes with a bunch of free IK Software/apps. The software alone is worth the price!