Irish music..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I am finding that I really like Irish music.. It's very rhythmic.. very energizing.. although some I have heard can also be mournful .. Does anyone have any suggestions for who to listen to if I wanted to give this more of a listen?
  2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

By Irish music I presume you're meaning traditional irish folk, and not U2 or Thin Lizzy.

Can't really recommend any artists, though the best way to listen would be to find if there is a nearby Irish bar that has a jam night :)
  3. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I know what you mean about Irish music. The lilting melodies and even the mournful stuff in some of the story songs stirs something inside me. Same with the Appalachian Mt. music that derived heavily from the Irish tradition. You probably have plenty of local bands playing Irish music at free venues as well as pubs all around you too. I found this site with a quick google search.

http://www.celticdistrict.com/dcc/index.html
  4. Just Bill

Just Bill

Back in the 90s, the Real World label released a cd titled Music at Matt Molloy's. I highly recommend this disc. There's lots of great Irish music out there but this is a good one to have in your collection.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Good on ya', boy-o.

Check out The Clancy Brothers and The Chieftans as well.
  7. dnosewor

dnosewor

We're an Irish Celtic band from Newfoundland Canada. Check out some of our stuff. Www.therollingkings.com.

Also check out the pogues. Shane's voice isn't for everyone but I think you'd appreciate the music
  8. Gazman

Gazman

So much to choose from, the Irish punch well above their weight when it comes to making music.

Check out acts such as The Fureys, Mary Black, The Waterboys, Vinnie Kilduff, Clannad and the Wolfe Tones. Something should take your fancy.

Also on the Real World label, is a compilation called "Lament". It is a collection of songs of grieving and loss, it's amazing.
  9. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

10. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I recommend Luke Kelly and the Dubliners.

Here is a personal favourite:

11. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

I've been a member of an Irish band for some time now. Good recommendations are The Pogues, Chieftains, Wolfe Tones, Sean Davey, The Tossers. Have a good listen!:thumbup:
  12. MrMeacham

MrMeacham

You can go from Punk to Heavy Metal, hitting all points in between, and stay in the Irish Pub Style.

Flogging Molly, Gaelic Storm, Great Big Sea, Drop Kick Murphys, Black 47, the Young Dubliners Irish Sessions cd is great and different from their other stuff. There are tons of great festival bands as well, Off Kilter, Greenland Whalefishers, Greenwich Meantime, The First Indulger cd is incredible. etc, etc.

The Prodigals have a mean lead bass player. Check out "Dreaming in Hells Kitchen". I think it takes away from the drive of the music but they are some mean lines.
  13. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Lots of great music listed, also try searching 'Gaelic music' under the term 'Celtic music' from this you will find many Scottish, Irish, and Welsh bands and music.
    As has been already referenced, it is folk music, so you will finds its influence where ever these people went in the world as they took their culture and music with them. :)
  14. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Andrew Harkin (Harken?) Total badass. Imagine a guy who shed everything Jaco Pastorius ever played, and then learned the melody to every fiddle reel from the past 500 years. Stunning bass player.

I think I heard he's no longer in the band though.
  15. Road-Dog

Road-Dog

Flogging Molly!---www.floggingmolly.com/
  16. NOAH_FX

NOAH_FX

To add to your list, Irish decendants, The Irish Rovers...

Welcome my son, you won't regret your stay :)
  17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Depends on what exactly you're talking about - I'm seeing a lot of guys suggesting Irish rock or pop bands, which are good, but maybe you're talking more about traditional Irish folk groups? If so, some names to check out...

The Chieftains (kind of obvious)
    De Danaan
    Boys of the Lough
    Altan
    Tannahill Weavers

In the 90s I kind of lost interest in pop and rock music and this was most of what I listened to - those were the artists that were my favorites. Clannad was a kind of folk-rock fusion band, some of their albums are more modern electric sounding and some were more folkish.

EDIT: Oh, and one I forgot - Sweeney's Men. Short-lived group from the 70s but they were very influential, you can usually still find a CD of their best stuff out there.
  18. chuck3

chuck3

doing "Galway Girl" by Steve Earle in my main band now, with the guitarist (who's Irish) singing it.

it is very rhythmic and fun to play on bass.
  19. Astreaux

Astreaux

+1 for Clannad!!!

Also check out Peatbog Faeries - www.peatbogfaeries.com - pretty much a Celtic fusion group... Their Mellowosity release... good stuff!
  20. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

21. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

My old man (who was Irish) was a big fan of The Furey's with Davey Arthur - I saw them many times, and they were incredible musicians. We saw Clannad a couple of times as well (who were different, but damn good), and other less know Irish bands as well. I've never heard banjos and mandolins sound as good as with Irish folk bands (not to mention the array of unusual instruments some of these bands use).