1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is $300 a good price for a Ibanez ATK 200?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TUEP, Sep 18, 2013.

1. TUEP

TUEP

A know a guy who has one that looks new. No scratches no dings no nothing. Plays great and has a nice comfortable action on it and a maple fretboard which I think is cool.

Anyway he said he would let me have it for $300 even and he would through in a gig bag with it.

I was looking on musicians friend and they are $331 used with no gig bag on there so I figured this is a pretty decent deal. Its the one with the natural finish and black pickguard.

I am am more familiar with the old ATK 300's. Any opinions on the 200's? Quality, sound, and performance? I am a hard rock/metal kind of guy and I hear they do that pretty good.

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The pickups are the only difference between the 200 and 300. $300 for a nice used ATK200 is pretty much market value. You can do better if you wait and shop around.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320

I dare to add $. 300.00 is maybe too much for it (I'd try to talk it down to $. 250.00 at least and believe me still wouldn't be a steal)

Second maple fingerboard was on Atk300 (with TripleCoil serial/parallel option) while Atk200 offer rosewood only (and serial doublehumbucker)

For metal it's really great
    It cuts thru a crowded mix with no uncertainty and plenty of power and "authority", unfortunately, present Atks are not as versatile as they were before

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. TUEP

TUEP

I might be mistaken then that it is a 200 if they didn't come with Maple fret boards. I know its made in Indonesia and I didn't think 300's were made there so I assumed it was a 200.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TUEP

TUEP

If it is a 300 instead of a 200...I would assume $300 bucks with a gig bag wouldn't be a bad deal would it?

7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

that's what they (300s) run for consistently on gc used. theres a pretty good influx/depletion on there of used atk's (trust me... I watch that thing like a hawk looking for a deal...) O.O

so yes, that with a gigbag isn't a bad deal, imo. if its nice, you could probably sell the bag if youre not in dire need of it, that would be my move

8. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

I've got a 300 and a 305 and both were made in Indonesia.

9. Wallace320

Wallace320

It's an Atk300 and $. 300.00 are fine (with or without gigbag) Atk200 has Wilkinson tuners, DoubleBucker, rosewood board and it's made in China

Good find my friend

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. TUEP

TUEP

What is considered the better bass the 200 or the 300?

11. Wallace320

Wallace320

But, for versatility, I'd tell Atk300, 'cause if Atk series really is "poor man StingRay", TripleCoil pickup offers the choice between
    - front and center coil "serial with rolled off tone" (front position switch)
    - front and center coil "serial with full open tone" (center position switch)
    - front and rear coil "parallel" (rear position switch)

Atk200 splits between front humbucker-both-rear humbucker
    So it has plenty of power and punch, but still a one trick pony.

Cheers,
    Wallace