Is a beat up 1973 Fender P Bass Worth $2399 if...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duderus, Jan 13, 2013.

1. duderus

duderus

Is a truly beat up Fender P Bass 1973 without bridge cover/pickup cover and thumb rest, worth $2399 from Guitar Center?!?! I don't but I played the bass and it feels great. I would add only a bridge cover because I cut myself on them.

$2399 seems high. Here is a pic. The back is worse. Looks like someone had or put something neon green on come of the scratches. (Old punker must had tossed thing around a few times) The wear looks cool though. This bass makes my 76 P with rosewood board look brand new.

Please let me know your thoughts.I was going to trade up some gear..... Thank u!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Vintage-VINTAGE-1973-FENDER-PRECISION-BASSS-108361142-i2814353.gc

ALSO, Is this bass legit?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200876241782&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

2. Tonegasm

Tonegasm www.richwronski.com Supporting Member

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Definitely, given the current market...

- georgestrings

4. tkozal

tkozal

Maybe a little high,, but not much

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I agree that the price is too high. There is a 73 on ebay for $1,200 that is in much better condition. There are others that are priced much higher than the one at GC. I think the price should be under $2,000. Probably no more than $1,800.

7. exidor

exidor

unless you think you just got to have it. I'd personally go with a American standard P.
    unless I had money to burn.
    yes I think the price is a bit to high.

8. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

IMO, that seems pretty high for a bass in that condition especially if the back is worse. Some folks like to call that "mojo". I never bought into that line of thinking. Just because some folks don't take care of their bass, it doesn't make it a better instrument.
    My only question to you is: Have you been looking for a 73 and this is the best one you've played? OR, Were you in GC and saw this on the spur of the moment? If it's the former, then it might justify the price for you. If it's the latter, give it some more thought. There are other 73 P basses around.
    As I said, just my opinion.

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Like, a thousand more than I would pay.

10. prd004

prd004

I think 70's Fenders are way over priced and way over rated. I'm old enough to remember the 80's, and back then nobody wanted them, you couldn't give them away. Now they tend to be over valued just because they are old enough to be considered vintage. I've never played one that impressed me much. I'm sure they exist, but I wouldn't buy one.

11. Mtnman

Mtnman

Its really hard to tell condition from the GC photo, so its hard to set the price. It does seem a little high though. The prices for vintage pieces at GC are set by the Vintage Dept guys in the Hollywood store based on pics emailed to them and verbal descriptions given to them by the buying salesman that's evaluating the piece.

One thing I did notice from the photo is that the saddles are all really far forward. Leads me to wonder if there's a neck or intonation issue...

12. Winfred

Winfred

It's all just marketing. Ask some of the old guys that were around in the 70's that were playing them. Some fenders were good, some weren't. Mostly it's a matter of personal taste.

That bass is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Keeping the price high is in the best interest of places like GC.

13. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I'm no expert but I'd say $1,200 to $1,400 seems to be the ongoing price on Ebay.

14. P_bass

P_bass

I too think it is over priced. If you must have this one do a lot of research, take in the findings and make them an offer they can't refuse...

I am old enough to remember the 60's and own 71 and 73 P Basses and feel the early 70's Fenders were as good as any built before them.

As with everything we all have our own opinion, mine includes working in music shops in the 70's and being able to play everything that was in the building which is where I compared the early to late 70's Fenders and came away with my own opinion for what it's worth.

Good luck in your search.

15. Tonegasm

Tonegasm www.richwronski.com Supporting Member

Exactly.

16. ibateur

ibateur

+1 to overpriced.

Its "worth" is only something you (your hands/fingers/ears) can calculate. That plus the cosmic mojo...

If I bought it, I'd probably gut it and replace with "modern" parts...

17. 4001

The bass will only get worse hanging at GC.

18. Natropath

Natropath Supporting Member

If you look on ebay right now as an example you'll find completed listings from 1200-3000. A few sunburst with maple necks just went for 2800. Look at other shops that carry vintage gear, I'd guess that they'll probably list something like that for 2500 and take 2000. Chicago Music Exchange has on one for 3500! The return policy at GC is pretty awesome, if you get it and its no good, return it.

19. tkozal

tkozal

Spoken with knowledge and intelligence +1

20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Overpriced by $800, IMO. If you have $2,400 to blow, you can do a LOT better than that.

21. -=DanAtkinson=-

-=DanAtkinson=-

Just because something is "vintage" doesn't mean it's good. The allure of all things "vintage" has gone haywire. Spend some time with that bass and judge the price for yourself. Be honest. Don't get caught up in the fact that it's old. My hunch is that if you compare that bass to a new 2012 American Fender, the 2012 will sound and play just as good, if not better, for half the price.