1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is a compressor for me.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by whatisacup, Jul 26, 2013.

1. whatisacup

whatisacup

I bought an MXR compressor pedal a few years back, and it's fun to play around with, but i'm starting to consider it not necessary.

I like to keep my rig simple, I play P basses into my vt bass, tuner, compressor into my Ashdown head with sealed cab.

I play with a pick 99.9 % of the time, very simple old school style. Similar to REM.

I understand where a compressor comes in handy if you're slapping, finger playing, or just changing what you do. But with a pick, I feel in control enough. I don't rock out or anything to the point where I lost control of what I'm doing.

I have many more reasons to sell it, than to keep it. Is there a good reason why I should hold onto it, that I might not be thinking of?

2. Swift713

Swift713

If you don't love it let it go. I really dig the way compression feels, like overdrive without clipping, but I use it a lot less than I used to. It never was a control thing for me.

3. whatisacup

whatisacup

I use my vt bass for all the overdrive I need. Like If I wanted a big board, I could find a use for it, but I really like a light pedal load.

A friend of mine let me borrow one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/art-tube-mp-studio-v3-mic-preamp

I'm having a lot of fun with it, but it's time to give it back. I was thinking about ditching the compressor to try one of these on my board. I'm really digging it.

4. creis2

creis2

Not to hijack, but I'm looking into the MXR. Is it possible to use with a VT bass to try to get a tube compression? Or is using the two redundant?

5. Register to disable this ad