Is a SVT-3 Pro a upgrade to the SVT 350/B2R?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TUEP, Oct 2, 2013.

1. TUEP

TUEP

I know its a tube preamp and only 150 watts more punchier but, I was wondering if in terms of volume and tone if it was a better amp that the SVT-350/B2R?

Here is the thing I can dump 180 in getting my SVT-350/B2R and GK Backline 115 out of the pawn shop.

Or I can buy a used SVT-3 Pro for $500 bucks. 500-180 = 320. So I am wondering if it is worth the upgrade for 100 extra watts and a tube pre-amp.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Of course it's an upgrade! ;) The 350 was designed to lure non-Ampeg lovers to the fold while the 3 Pro was designed for folks who love Ampeg tube amps but were willing to sacrifice some tube glory but not all.

3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    3Pro is a big upgrade. It's as close as you're going to get without power tubes.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The 350 is not that desirable and the Backline cab is an entry level cab. Go for the 3-Pro.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Didn't notice the cab part so yeah, a 3pro and a better speaker is going to be a night and day difference.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, the Backline is a crap cab. GK makes some nice cabs. The Backline series ain't it. If you cheap out on anything, cheap out on the head or bass, never the cab.

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    FWIW, we used to get those svt350's as backline from time to time. I guess because they were cheap and still kind of "looked the part"? I don't know but just don't use those to judge what an Ampeg can do to your sound. Most all of their other amps are way better, and not just by a little bit, more like they were made by a completely different company.

9. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    3Pro is a great amp. Great all around gigging mans head and one of the best DI outs you will ever use. Tone for days through FOH....!!!

10. TUEP

TUEP

Great I am glad to hear this. What I will have to do is just cut my losses with the SVT-350 and just put that $180 towards the Ampeg SVT-3 Pro...and then just save up for a decent cab. I think patience will be pay off in the long run.

11. TUEP

TUEP

They really are...I never want them again.

12. B-string

The Backline, GLX are more beginner cabs and serve a purpose but not when you start getting serious about playing ;)

13. Alex1984

Alex1984

Yes, definitely a solid step up, but I'd consider a 7 pro before a 3 pro nowadays. Maybe even the PFs.

14. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    For $500 I would find a used 7 PRO

15. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    IMO a used 3Pro should be $350-$400 tops, and it better be mint without issues at that price.

Here you go from our TB classifieds: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/ampeg-svt-3-pro-super-deal-1018600/?highlight=ampeg pro

Pay attention to any type of noise on startup or shutdown as it could be tubes or MOSFET bias issues. I'm absolutely NOT saying they all have issues, just mentioning it as I tried to buy an older 90's SLM used model and it had a noticeable decaying noise on shutdown. Come to find out the power section had an issue that was leaking voltage (or something) which was supposedly expensive to fix.

I thought it was a great sounding amp.

16. B-string

I wouldn't buy a USED 7 Pro period.

17. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    Get one of the later versions. It was the early ones that had QC issues...

18. B-string

I don't think it was QC issues as much as design issues they have been working on. Class D is new to Ampeg/LOUD Tech.

19. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Ok I'll chime in here..Played a 3 pro for 15 years without a problem until I spilled a beer on it then POOF, BAM!! Great amps! Lots of flexibility in tone.

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    There is the bias procedure for the 3pro either linked to or explained somewhere on this site. It is not a difficult process if you have just a very basic knowledge of messing with electronics....meaning figuring out where the test points are, reading a meter and turning a screw. I'd much rather do that than take my chances with anything but the very latest revisions of a 7pro or pf500...and maybe not even those.

The 3pro is a good old leadsled. Been rocking for 20 years and made to be maintained so it rocks 20 more. It's not some smps, smt, d, thing built by the lowest bidding robot.;)

21. TUEP

TUEP

Yeah I thought about the PF-500 but I am not sure because I hear there is a lot of hit and miss with its reliability.