1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is a Warmoth build worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongostealth, Oct 28, 2012.

1. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

I've dabbled in the idea of getting a Warmoth Gecko 6-string made. For the options I want, the total price of the body and neck would be $1400-$1500.

Is the quality of these basses a good value? I know that resale value on Warmoth basses are pretty low. Of course, I'm not really taking that into consideration, but rather the quality of the bass.

Does anyone know if their necks bow often? I would want a Wenge neck.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. Mulebagger

Mulebagger Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, DR Strings
    Had a Warmoth way back. No issues, and great quality.

Resale vs what you want are two choices only you can make. For my money I'd look for used stuff, but if you can get exactly what you want, that's money well spent.

Good luck with your purchase. If you get the Gecko, post some pics.
  3. fyziqs

fyziqs

Absolutely! I have a Gecko 5-stringer, and it has been my go-to bass for years. No neck warping (ebony on wenge), just needs typical fine-tuning with the seasons.

I bought & built my Gecko with no regard for resale - I figured it would either work out or be a stay-at-home project bass. I was pleasantly surprised, and ended up gigging with it regularly. It is heavy, but it sounds great!

After trying a couple preamps, I ended up wiring the two humbuckers in parallel directly to the jack - no volume, no tone, no nothin' - I figured the bass amp would do the tone work. It has been a great (and cheap) solution that has resulted in great tone (in my opinion).
  4. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

I bought my Warmoth used for $550. I prefer it to any bass I have ever played. My bass tech says it's a bass for someone who cares about how the bass plays and sounds, not someone who cares about brands. I get lots of questions about it, partly because it's a fretless without lines, but partly because there is no brand logo. Warmoths might have higher resale if they cared about branding, but they seem to care more about craftmanship.
  5. bongostealth

Yeah, I also want the ebony fingerboard. I wouldn't plan on selling it either. It would be too unique to me that it wouldn't be liked by everyone, therefore limiting my chances to resell it.

As long as the neck doesn't warp then I'm happy. That's my biggest gripe about basses.

Also, how is the neck profile radius on these Gecko necks? I've read several people complain about how the profile radius is a bit thicker than they hoped for.
  6. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I'm on my 3d Warmoth build... the first two were "go for it" builds as in $$$ was no object... they both played fantastic and the necks were a couple of the most stable and fastest playing I've ever owned... this new build is on the cheap (total about $950.00) but I expect it to become my main player.....

first two builds (both have the same neck in the photos but I bought a Warmoth Deluxe 5 neck for the G5 and switched the Fender style to the Ray....)

Attached Files:

7. bongostealth

Those are beautiful!
  8. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

9. bongostealth

10. Roadkill

Some say their necks are as good as any you can buy for any price. They don't do fret leveling but you'd want to do that after it's all built and settled in anyways IMO. Most all are plenty playable as-is.
  11. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

It's absolutely worth it..as long as you aren't concerned with resale value.(Unless your Warmoth bass reads Sadowsky or Valenti at the headstock ;) )
  12. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

They have a choice of graphite or steel reinforcing rods.
    I have a Gecko 5 fretless.
    The neck is D-shaped and wide, kinda too thick and wide for my preferences, comparable to a Warwick in feel.
    No issues with warping or adjusting, it's very stable.

I like Ibanez necks, though, so my taste is for very thin necks, and I have accepted constant fiddling with the truss rod.
  13. Roadkill

Yes, thin necks require a lot of truss rod adjustments. They also don't sustain as well IMO but YMMV :).
  14. Bass Viking

Bass Viking Gold Supporting Member

I have wenge neck with an ebony board and it's very stable. I haven't touched the truss rod in a long time. It's my favourite wood combo of the 5 Warmoth necks I've owned. Another plus is that it doesn't need a finish so you save money and get to play on nice, bare wood.
  15. Roadkill

^ While certain woods don't require a finish a clear walnut oil finish really brings out the beauty of the grain and is simple to do and maintain - and doesn't affect the "feel" :) .
  16. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Warmoth is a nice compromise when you want boutique customization options and a classic body style without breaking the bank. Used a warmoth body on my current favorite bass:

[​IMG]
  17. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I spend so much time "building" different basses on Warmoth. I am certain that I will actually purchase one someday! I say go for it. I've heard nothing by good things about them!
  18. EddieG

EddieG

Absolutely worth it. The only change I would make to my Jazz is to go for the slimmer neck profile (which wasn't available when I built it), and I'd have the Tele bass headstock.....which I asked for at the time but was a standard headstock when it arrived. :(
  19. hs123

hs123

I just finished mine. My other bass is a 73 Fender Jazz I've had since I was a teenager. I wanted a 6 but couldn't find one I liked (for under $4000). So I built one. I'll use my jazz for the standard stuff, but the tonal capabilities of this new 6 is out of this world. Ebony/Wenge neck feels awesome!

Body - Black Korina (Limba-"Terminalia superba")
    Neck - Ebony / Wenge (2 truss rods, no finish)
    Tuners - Hipshot HB6Y Ultralight (6th String De-Tuner (just cuz))
    Bridge - Hiphshot A -17mm "Girly Hand" spacing.
    Electronics - Nordstrand:
    3B-4a Preamp (Vol/Vol, Passive Tone(pp),Mid Tone(pp), Treble/Bass Stack)
    FatStack 6 Pickups (Custom; EMG dimensions, 17mm spacing)
    Nad Hater Switch (humcancelling / single coil) (the person that built the pickups is Nad, he hates switches)

Attached Files:

20. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

I'm getting a completely different result. I have four Ibanez Soundgears with thin necks and one Fender Jazz with a thin neck. I've never had to adjust any of them once they are setup to begin with.
    I gigged with the Fender for 30 years.
    I think part of the deal is knowing how to pick out a good neck when you buy in the first place. I look for straight grain and a neck that is close to flat in the store. I don't buy 'em if they need a lot of tweaking to start with. One of the SRX's I bought was the demo even though they had new ones in the box because the guy told me it had been the demo for six months. I figured if that neck was still straight after six months at Guitar Center, then it probably wasn't going to move much after that. It's held up fine, and so have the others.

The SR700 is the thinest neck I have and has the most sustain, the Fender is the thickest neck I have (although not very thick) and has the least sustain.