Is Ampeg SVT-450H so bad amplifier?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by supremo, Aug 12, 2013.

1. supremo

supremo

I read many threads about Ampeg 450H here in TB and the reviews - opinions were not the best.
    What's going on with that amp?
    Is it the black sheep of Ampeg's family?
    What about its tone? Is it so different from the known Ampeg's tone or not?

And finally between Ampeg 450H and EBS 450 Classic which one is better?
  2. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls.

I've read that it was the same amp as the B2RE - except it was dressed as an SVT.

I have a B2RE - it's a little tight sounding, and definitely not tubey (well, it's full solid state), but it's a decent amp. I don't use it much anymore but I used it for a few years with no complaints.

It doesn't seem to get many good reviews, but I'm not sure why. I've gigged with mine countless times and always thought it was a pretty solid amp, for what it is. Just don't expect to get good tube grind and growl out of it.
  3. Grissle

Grissle

They're bulky and a little heavy but are solidly built and sound like an Ampeg SS amp. Which is still a good thing in my book.

I haven't read about anyone mentioning it but I think Ampeg did a pretty decent job of capturing the character at least of their tube ancestors with the SS designs.
  4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz

There are 2 amps that don't sound like an Ampeg to me I have played. The B2RE/SVT 450 (and little brother B2R/SVT-350) is one of them. The other was a 200T or something I think.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Could be that the "B" family line, including the B2RE, were made by Ampeg to appeal to non-Ampeg customers, which is off-putting to Ampeg fans. I always thought mine sounded quite a lot like an Ampeg, at least compared to the Bassman I had been playing, but mileage obviously varies. So that's strike one for Ampeg fans. Strike two as mentioned above is that this is a B amp housed to look like an SVT; so not only is it not a "real" Ampeg, it's fronting as the most Ampeg of Ampegs. And no one likes a poseur.
  7. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

The 350/450 are solid amps for what they are (no pun intended). If you're expecting it to sound like a "real" SVT, you're going to be disappointed. I used a 350 for years, a decision largely driven by the cost, weight, and maintenance as compared to its tube brethren. I was always happy with it, framed in that context.

If you want a relatively low cost, worry-free workhorse, it'll get the job done.
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

If you look at Musician's Friend reviews for the SVT 450h and the B2re, you'll find mostly good reviews.
    I own several Ampegs, tube and SS, including the B2re. Other than the loud fan, I've got no complaints. Sounds pretty good to me.
  9. Essen

Essen Supporting Member Supporting Member

I had this amp for a year and a half, and it is without any doubt the worst amp I've every played. Except for that one time I tried a Behringer ;)

It's sterile, sharp and with the wrong cab it sounds like you're playing through a cheap PA system. I had this paired with a 410HLF, which sounded real nice with any other head (SVT-VR, SVT-CL etc).

And to the OP's question, buy the EBS. They make top notch products.
  10. fenderhutz

fenderhutz

Well yeah it makes reliable noise, but it doesn't sound any different than an 80's/90's Peavey or a Behringer at half (sometimes 1/4) the cost.
  11. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Just looked at the SVT 450h, Id does indeed look like a B2RE in a SVT box. I have the B2RE and I like it a lot, It's a solid workhorse and has a good clean powerful signal. BUT an SVT it is not. SVT's and my B2 are night an day next to each other. Its a good amp but if your expecting SVT sound you'll be disappointed.
  12. jason the fox

I'll agree that the fan is a little loud.. but having said that, I find all fans are loud until you start playing, and/or the band kicks in. I guess, ideally, I'd like an amp to be silent until you start playing lol. Realistically though, my B2RE's fan is no louder than the fan in my SVT3-Pro.
  13. jason the fox

Yeah, same thing I was saying. I think we see it the same way. Good amp for what it is.. but pretty sure the SVT-450H EXACTLY the same as the B2RE. Same amp, wearing SVT clothing. Cruel trick.. lol :bag:

Clean signal for sure. Not much grind out of it. Kinda modern sounding, if that makes sense. Just crank the gain, and control your overall volume with the master. Decent power in a reliable solid state amp.
  14. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

We definitely see eye to eye on this and I also agree, it is a cruel trick. Especially since it weighs 21 lbs more for no reason.
  15. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

I used to use one for practice through an SVT 810 and it sounded fine. If you want it to sound like an SVT plug a Tech 21 VT bass pedal into the power amp in.
    Classic look and sound on the cheap.
  16. greengoblin

greengoblin

You really need to sit down and try them both before making a decision. You could get 1000 replies to a question like this and it will all be personal opinions from others. Could be that no one likes it, but you love it. If an amp works for you and you like the tone, that is all that matters. You need to trust your ears when making an amp selection and not opinions of others..
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's it in a nutshell. And yes, the 450H and B2RE are the same amp.

I also agree with the person who said to make up your own mind. What we think is 100% immaterial to your life, quite honestly.