Is anyone still using the Carvin LS1503?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by liam_g, Oct 1, 2012.

1. liam_g

liam_g

Just curious if anyone is still using the Carvin LS1503 cab made famous in the 'Boutique 3-way' threads. I had one a while back and sold it, and have regretted doing that. I just noticed that Carvin has the cabs on sale for $259 now, which seems like a screaming deal. Just curious if anyone still feels the love, what your impressions are, etc.

Cheers,
    Liam

2. ricguy

ricguy

I still have one, but don't use it much any more. It's a pretty sweet cab for the money, however, it doesn't handle the lowest notes on a 5-string bass all that well at higher volume levels IMO.

If I didn't play a 5'er exclusively, I be hauling it around instead of my SWR Goliath Sr.

3. liam_g

liam_g

Hi ricguy,

Thanks for the reply.

I play 4 string P basses (fretted and fretless), so I'm not too concerned with the lower end performance.

$259 just seems like a steal for this cab.

Cheers,
    Liam

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I had two of them as part of a PA package (which I sold to my old singer) and they sounded great. Perfect for fretless, IMO. Very transparent.
    For that price, STEAL.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

From what I have read here I understand that the drivers used back then are not the same as installed now. Apparently they are not as good.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I heard later models in the summer of 2011 in San Diego and cranked them up LOUD, but they might be different now.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

My old ones came loaded with a PS-15 I believe. Now Carvin has a new 15” speaker called the TS-15 and it costs twice as much. I would like to know more about this speaker and whether or not the LS1503 comes with the TS or the PS.

9. Stompin Tom

Stompin Tom

10. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

According to Carvin, these have the PS15

11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

It should still sound very good, within reasonable limits.

12. liam_g

liam_g

That's good news. Mine had the PS15 and sounded very good. I never got around to replacing it with a Kappalite 3015 like I had originally planned.

Intriguing deal right now on these.

Cheers,
    Liam

13. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

I have an LSx1503. Still gig it with a LM2. I want something lighter and am taking steps in that direction.

14. TAZ

TAZ

I used a couple for a few years. I compared them to several of the standard 15 cabs from the major brands. In most cases in comparison, it was smoother and more even balanced. I bought 2 for $300 off craigslist.

15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Did you stack them for live shows? How does that sound?

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Modern Carvin drivers are made in China. I'm not looking to debate the Chinese versus US thing, but I will say that I had a new Carvin 10" driver in one of my cabs and I blew it up the very first gig I did with it.

17. ricguy

ricguy

Just for the heck of it, I tried my GenzBenz Streamliner 900 though my LS1503 last night at home, and it sounded great! Not too boomy/bassy, lots of clarity in the mids and the highs were super sweet. I'll use these two together on a gig Saturday to see how they work in a band context. If it sounds as good on the gig as it does in the basement, I may have to take this cabinet out of retirement.

Hmmm...I wonder what a LS1523 and the STM900 would sound like together??

18. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

This is an example of where an Fdeck HPF3 would give you alot more output without hurting the cab. They do sound good and a steal of a price.

19. hobbes1

hobbes1

I have one and it sounds great. can get a little farty on the lowest notes if pushed hard but i've been happy with it. it's heavy though and i've been moving to the 1x12 setup recently. been using the 1503 more as a PA speaker for my eDrum kit than anything else lately. sounds really good for that too :)

20. rpsands

rpsands

I use them as PA mains :)

21. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

How was the low end? Did you use a 5 string?

I see you're from Syracuse - I grew up in central NY.