1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is Bass Mute still on the go?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Sep 12, 2012.

1. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

http://www.bassmute.com

Just wondering if anyone knows if these guys are still on the go, dropped an email by them about a week back but haven't heard back.

Can't really tell from the distributers if they have them either.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    From every other thread about BM, seems like they don't respond to anyone's emails, and nobody has them in stock.

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Got the same vibe from those threads too. I keep checking now and again, it's a nice idea!

4. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Yes, those look interesting. I've made a mute by glueing some foam onto a shimmed piece of wood.Sort of like a doorstop. I can slide it underneath the strings very quickly and I can adjust the dampening by pushing it up or down horizontally. It works but it's not as elegant.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeffbrown

jeffbrown

I got one a while ago, but the getting took some time. It seems the fellow who makes them is also a performer, and he didn't answer my emails until he got off the road. Not really a good business model.... I'm satisfied with my unit. Once set up properly, it really does work.

You may have to be persistent if you want one. I can't tell you if it will be worth your time to wait for it. There are a lot of other options to perform the same task. So, YMMV.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

+1

8. buzzammo

buzzammo

I looked in to buying one of these, but a quick glance at their website, where they're located, etc. gave me pause. It doesn't surprise me they don't respond to emails. Everything I saw on there smells of a product that won't be supported or around for very long and is definitely not worth the money.

9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I like the conept and elegance of it (I've used a length of foam wedged under the strings in the past).

They've been around for a few years certainly, must have been about 4-5 years back that I first saw that website.

Might see if I can find any old (or from the classic range) stingray bridges with mute.

10. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

I've been drooling over this for awhile now, ever since I saw Mike Masuda's YouTube video of his PJ bass. I'm going to pull the trigger on this in the next couple of weeks, so we'll see how it goes.

11. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I had one on a bass a few years ago, it was okay; I ended up removing it, and sold it to someone on TB for $75, I think.

I roll my own, now:

[​IMG]

12. PaulieBe

PaulieBe Supporting Member

I called BOTH of these guys in Holland after not getting any email response. They apparently were having parts problems with their Asian contractor and I got the impression that it was a bit too much of a pain/ not lucrative enough to keep in production. Having said, they were both great guys and claimed that they were going to possibly get back in business soon.

I have two of them. I put them on a couple of different basses. They are better than you think they would be. A REALLY GREAT invention. I hope that they go back in production because I would buy 4 or 5 more to put on all my Fenders.

13. dvlmusic

Thanks for the recent update - I emailed them a couple times with no response and was just getting ready to call them myself. It'll be a couple months before I'm ready to pull the trigger - just modded the crap out of my P - but it sounds like waiting a bit might be just the ticket.

14. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Cool design! Quick, adjustable, what more is needed? Get an nice piece of wood foam and carpet tape: set!

15. dvlmusic

Does anyone have an update on this company? I'm dying for one of these and I haven't figured out a good time to call The Netherlands from California...

16. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Don't you know how time zones work?:confused:

17. dvlmusic

Yep, but I'd have to call them at 6:00a to get them at 3:00p - that doesn't make it easy.

18. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Or you could call them at Midnight that would make it 9:00 AM over there.
    It all depends how bad you want this thing....

19. dvlmusic

Actually, that's what I did the one time I did call and no one answered....