1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is everyone on TB loaded?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jaxom, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jaxom

jaxom

Does everyone on TB spend way too much on gear or is everyone (except me) on here very well off?

2. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

3. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I'm on my second beer....trying ta get loaded.

4. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    I buy almost all of my gear used and deeply discounted. I'll let someone else pay full retail....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LegoBass

LegoBass

We all spend too much on gear.......There are a quite a few members on this fourn who are very well off and have everything, but the majority are in the same boat everyone else.

I do not have that much money, but I have quite a bit of gear. I know I am in a decent place in my life, so I am stocking up while I can. I think a lot of other members have done the same thing as me, some of them maybe even regretting it....

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Yep. Buying used will definitely get you further along than buying gear new. I actually remember reading the comment section on a Youtube video once, and one guy was asking about the differences between a Modulus Flea and an EBMM StingRay because he was wanting to buy one new. I told him that for the price of getting a new Flea he could buy BOTH a Ray and a Flea used.

8. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

+1 but not regretting it yet...:D

9. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

^
    One bass, & one amp here.

10. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Some are rich, some are well off, some just save their money for quality gear.

11. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

I buy most of my gear after I've had a few glasses of wine... so I guess I am loaded... and I spend way too much on gear :bag:

Hmm... I only received 1 bass this week... and I have one coming in next week... I better have another glass of wine while I peruse the classifieds :ninja:

12. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

I have spent tons of $$ since my folks bought my first electric guitar setup for me in the spring of 1975. And every instrument and piece of equipment has earned its keep back in gigs over time.

13. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Like life in general, everyone is at a different level. Some TB'ers have more disposable income than others.

I am dumbfounded at how much gear I have bought and sold over the 40 years of playing bass. It's almost embarrassing! In my case, BASS seems to stand for Buy And Sell Stuff.

If I was independently wealthy, I would have just kept all of the gear I ever bought, but since I am not independently wealthy, I use the money from prior sales of gear to pay for the next gear choice. So, I guess you could say that I "recycle" my money.

14. chuck3

chuck3

if it's an addiction it's not expensive, relatively speaking.

15. ReIgnition

ReIgnition if you are the big tree, we are the small axe...

I don't think we as a group collectively are richer than anyone other group of folks online sharing the same passion for something.

- Some people collect instruments

- Some guys are so busy playing they can't keep gear working from gig to gig.

- Some guys are older... played all over they way they wanted to. Have kids, house... maybe no mortgage even. They may have more time and money to invest in nice gear.

Just different stages in life.

Being 14 with a Squier is not a bad thing.

ps... Rich spoiled brats with piles of new basses collecting dust keep the New/Used Bass market plentiful. New Old Stock they call it. Great prices, stock strings, several years old and not a scratch... still got the hang tags. Like Jack Daniels. I wish I could track these guys... they always blow stuff out cheap.:meh:

16. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

It's a constant struggle. Right now I could buy a new bass, some new pedals...but noooo stuff just HAS to come up...

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    You only spend too much on gear if you can't afford it.

18. 4001

It took me 31 years to build my arsenal of gear. If I haden't started playing bass back in 1981, I'd have a lot more money now or a lot of other stuff that cost that much instead. Right now, I'm flat broke, living check to check but I'm not selling any of my gear anytime soon. If I sold all of my gear, I'd have a decent chunk of change, but not "loaded" by any definition.
    What's "loaded" these days? I'd think a million or more in disposable cash, depending on your age.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Every piece of music related gear I own has paid for itself many times over.

Spend a couple of grand on a bass so it can sit on a stand at my house? No way. Spend a couple of grand on a bass that will probably make me 8k or so in the first year or two after it's paid for itself? Heck yeah.

Claw hammer? Ball peen hammer? Get a tool that you like and get to work!

20. KissThaRing

KissThaRing

Is anyone here a "hobby" bassist? I'm not in a band, nor do I do this for a living, but my god if I had 2 grand laying around I would buy a rickenbacker or a warwick at a drop of a hat, I've only been playing bass for 4 months and I'm already drooling at there tones. oh well, my Ibbi will have to do for now, lol.

/goes back to practicing "Smoke On The Water" :p

21. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Nope not loaded.I have one Bass and three amps. One amp I am trying to sell, the other is a tiny Ampeg I keep in my living room for whenever the urge hits me. I love my 50's Precision and GKMB115. So far those plus a tuner and a metronome had been all I need. I only play once a week in church though. I did just buy a Delta Labs Multi-Effects processor on sale for $60 but I am probably going to return it. I don't really need all effects for my bass. I might try going direct in from the pedal, if that doesn't work out, back it goes.