Is Fender Squier Really A Good Brand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deoindra, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Deoindra

Deoindra

I'm thinking about buying this Fender Squier Standard P-J Bass but it seems like people only say bad things about squier so Im a bit hesitant! I was thinking if its bad maybe I might get a Schecter C-4 SGR Bass, An Ibanez SR300 M bass, or a Dean Motto bass? I like reggae, ska, slap, and tapping so which one would be the best buy?:help:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Herrick

Herrick

I hear mostly good things about Squier.
  3. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Lots of gigging musicians here love Squiers. Good quality, lots of bang for the buck.

If your concern is about quality, the consensus of opinion seems to be that they're pretty good.

Me? I've checked them out but they just don't do it for me.
  4. miketallica315

miketallica315

Squier is really doing a great job these days. Their Classic Vibe series and their Vintage Modified series can really rival Mexican Fenders. They are a great all around bass and I think you would really enjoy playing it. There are a few that I can't wait to grab myself!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gus1894

gus1894 Supporting Member

Of the several Squiers I have owned over the years, I've never really encountered a bad one. My only recommendation is that you should handle it and play it before you buy it.
  7. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all. Supporting Member

I played a Squier Vintage Modified P-bass TB live for over 2 years and just picked up a 50's Classic Vibe P-bass as well to be a backup for another gig I just got.

I stuck new tuners and pots on 'em, along with some strap locks, and they're some of the best-sounding and -playing basses I've ever come across for the $$.

just pulled the trigger on a Squier VM Bass VI, should be here soon...

over the moon with VM and CV Squiers.
  8. Deoindra

Deoindra

That's awesome!
    I want a 2004 Squier Standard P-J Bass but do you think it would be a great buy?
  9. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all. Supporting Member

that's not a CV or VM, but if you like it and it plays good, then by all means, check it out.

I know that they have a VM P/J...
  10. Not yet

Not yet

Who cares what people say. You like it, it fits your budget and sounds good rest is noise

Have a classic vibe played at some of best clubs in US and not once did I care or any of the pros played with complain...to the contrary many complimented its sound. And this is stock off the rack. Actually sometimes prefer it

Have older American Ps and Musicmans, but still really dig it
  11. JACink

JACink

I cannot compare Squiers to higher brands, as I do not own any, but I am quite happy with the 2 that I own.

Recently I stumbled across a music store in Holland that had a large selection of basses (not very common around here), and to be truthful, the Squiers were the nicest basses I tried.

Although, please note that I am by no means a bass expert, so my opinion is only an opinion!!
  12. bobpond

bobpond Supporting Member

I have a VM Jazz and VM Precision. I was able to set them both up with right around 3/32" action at 17th fret and .012 relief with no fret work or nut adjustment needed. Intonation was no problem to adjust. Pickup height was OK as is.

I bought them at least a year apart, so the fact that both set up nicely is a good indication to me that they are doing something right.
  13. Deoindra

Deoindra

14. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

It really all depends (I know....I know...definitive answer!!!)

when they first came out, they were definitely the budget line and I would not touch them (even as a relatively new player)....the quality vacillated a bit over the years.

The VM series came out and I was really impressed...I almost bought the fretless as my first fretless and the early VM series still demand used about what they sold for new a few years ago...that speaks volumes...even though they were relatively inexpensive, they did not lose a big deal of value (unlike MOST new basses)...

I have played a few of the CV series and others and am quite impressed for the price point...

I have played SOME squires that are better IMHO than some MIM Fenders.

of course, this is just all my personal experience....

if you buy one, buy one of the more recent "special series" basses and I really do not think you will be disappointed for the price.
  15. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Nothing wrong with them at all. The only people who say they're junk are probably gear snobs anyway, who think the name on the bass means more than the sound or the skill of the player. I've met a LOT of musicians that have expensive equipment but could barely tune their own guitars or basses without help.
  16. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

It's all in the eye of the beholder... But generally speaking, yes.
  17. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Not to sound mean, but you really need to look around here more. There's a lot of love for Squier 'round these parts.

Incidentally, the Precision Special you pictured is the very bass that pushed me over the edge and screamed at me, "Buy me, dammit! Make me your first bass ever!!". And despite it being discontinued a few years before then…

[​IMG]

…my persistence finally paid off! :bassist:

Although it may not have been my "first bass ever", be assured that if I ever had to sell off all but one, this bass, My Sexy Beast, is the one I'll never part with. And on a related note, outside of a couple of Fenders in my collection, all the basses I've held on to are Squiers.

To Deoindra; The bass pictured in that eBay link doesn't look like the metallic grey (satin pewter, to be exact) model. Maybe it's just the lighting in the picture, but I'd say it's a regular metallic black model. But that's all purely cosmetic. If you can get it for $250 or less, I'd call that "very not-bad". Otherwise there are more than a few similar models available online. I know for a fact that my local Guitar Center (Wilmington, DE) has one of the "Black & Chrome" editions (metallic black with matching headstock and mirror/chrome pickguard). I've played that particular one (I wanted to see if it was as good as mine) and it's in excellent shape. Hell, it even still has the factory film on the pickguard!
  19. Joey3313

Joey3313

Was at a local shop today trying out J basses...the Squier Classic Vibe was the nicest playing bass bar none. Put the American Standards on the wall to shame.

Amazing what a decent setup can do, but it felt real good in my hands.
  20. TreySonagras

TreySonagras

Most musicians develop a relationship with instruments very much like we do with our spouses. When you find "the one" you don't really care what other people think. For me, it's all about touch and feel. There might be a one that looks really beautiful but doesn't feel good to me. When I found one that felt good to me I kept it and ignored what other people said about it. (I am referring to my Squire Jazz)

This is why it's so important to "try before you buy". Buying a guitar on Ebay is a lot like a mail order bride. The pictures and description may sound good but you never really know until you get your hands on it....
  21. Deoindra

Deoindra

Wow haha I never thought of it that way, you just blew my mind...