Is Fender Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar still the best bass to start with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bragiz, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Bragiz

Bragiz

I know you guys are sick of people asking you "what best is bass guitar for a beginner" all the time.

But i already did my research and found out the the Squire VM and the Ibanez sr300 are the 2 the most recommended bass guitars for beginners.

So with this information i went to the music store and... they didn't have any of them, the sr300 is not available in my country and the squire VM was out of stock.

I tried some of the guitars there, Ibanez gsr200 (didn't like it) and the ibanez sr600 (amazing but too expensive).
    But didn't have the option to try the Squire VM, so the only way to buy it is to order it online.

My question is, is there any chance i won't like it?
    I'm kinda afraid to buy something without trying it first :meh:
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

A Squier vm p or j would be a fine place to start also.
  3. High ISO

High ISO

Try a Yamaha RBX170 if you can. They are affordable and are well-regarded as an entry level bass.
  4. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

You really should try it before buying it online. Otherwise it may well be like the SR300. I owned an SR305 and didn't like it either, but I do have an SR700 and I do like that.

So, see if you can't find something second hand where you live? But definitely, try it before you buy it.

Agreed, Yamaha basses are nice to start with too.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Go with a VM Jazz. It will never go out of style and there will always be a market if you want to sell it.
  7. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Where are you located? Local TalkBasser's may be able to give you some advice.

If you are uncomfortable with giving that info, completely understand.

It would be worth your while also to check out the used market in your area. For the new price of either of the basses you list it may be very easy to locate a decent condition Made in Mexico Fender. At least in the states, the used market is awash with MIM Fenders. Used instruments can be a great option for beginners (or veterans) and someone who knows what they are doing can usually take even a poor condition instrument and bring it back to life.
  8. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Well, you probably hate to hear this, but when you're looking at entry-level basses, your own preference is going to come in to play a LOT.

Sure, there are some that stand out from the herd a bit, but in my experience, buying a bass just because everyone else says it's a good bass is a really stupid thing to do. Everyone here loves Fenders, and I can't stand a single one I've ever played.

Does that mean Fenders are bad? No. Does it mea. I'm wrong? No. It just means that MY preference and the opinion of the masses are different.

I'd strongly advise you to visit a local store with an open mind and see what feels and sounds good to you. When you have a handful of good options, that's a good time to come back to TB and ask for the good and bad of each. But don't start with what everyone else says and just ignore what you actually have access to - that's just backwards and going to end up frustrating you.
  9. Bragiz

Bragiz

Jesus dude...

I really don't know what to do right now...
    The only bass that i liked in the store is the Ibanez sr600, but it's too expensive.

I see no other option then buying the Squire and hope i'll like it...
  10. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake

Personally I have no use for Fender either. I have played a couple of Brice basses that were fine once set up right and they are very affordable.
  11. wisconsindead

wisconsindead

I started on and have played a used squire P bass for the past 2 years (my brothers friend gave me his sisters set up from ten years ago). I have a pretty specific tone I really want to get (early phil lesh), this bass gets me far enough without actually getting me there. I've come to realize that a good portion of your tone is how YOU play, and that will only come with practice and experience.

Get a squire, take care of it, learn the bass, keep saving up for a nicer one. Good luck!
  12. blue4

blue4

I own both a Squier Jag and an Ibanez sr300. They are great basses to start with, and both are good enough you won't need a new bass when you get better unless you just want one.
  13. Mechanical

Mechanical

This.

My first bass was an Aria Pro II, even though literally everyone told me to buy a Fender P or J.
  14. blue4

blue4

Yeah, but where's a guy going to go to get an Aria Pro? A newbie in the GC age is only going to be able to find and actually hold/play a Squier, Ibanez, Epiphone, Schecter, etc without help from someone who already plays. I could tell him how my dad loves Samick, but it's not going to help a newbie one bit. He's got no frame of reference to go by.
  15. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    A good bass is a good bass. A serious newbie should take their time in learning what to look for when shopping and evaluating instruments as well as some basic concepts of setups. Then hit the pawn shops and music stores looking for used bargains.

Or

They can buy a squire because every part on it is easily serviceable and replacable by anyone competent with a few basic tools. Whereas your starter neck thru and set neck instruments might develop problems that only a luthier could fix.
  16. blue4

blue4

To be honest, if it were me getting asked for advise on this, I would tell him just to go to his local music store with about $350. Buy the one that feels the best used or new, get a free set up, and find a music teacher. Just get started, there's all kinds of time to haunt pawn shops. I went thru 2 or 3 basses when I started because I hadn't developed any sense of what I would like. Sometimes too many choices or looking for the perfect instrument is just a distraction. It was for me.
  17. wisconsindead

wisconsindead

18. Bragiz

Bragiz

how many here have the Squire VM?
  19. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Personally I would thoroughly recommend the SR300, but the Squier VM series is well deserving of some of the praise it gets. To be honest if you can, save up for a while, get the SR600 and skip the "entry level" phase altogether. Its a damn good bass.
  20. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

The fact that they were both out of stock proves that they are popular beginner basses. I own the Jaguar myself but I've tried many Ibanez's and the neck on those feels really good to my hand. Can't go wrong with either one.