1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is having 5+ strings really worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalhead398, Feb 22, 2014.

1. metalhead398

metalhead398

...as compared to the typical 4 string bass. Mostly for reasons of cost, playability, etc. I was thinking about getting a 6'er until I realized that I would almost never use the extra strings. So what are your thoughts?
  2. LagBox

LagBox

If anything, it means you'll have to move up and down the neck less because of more alternate positions.
  3. ryco

ryco

I have one fiver and like it for the lower notes - mostly for metal and hard rock.
    All my others are 4 bangers. Would like a MTD fretless fiver.

I have no desire for a sixer.
  4. metalhead398

metalhead398

Fair enough. But in my current situation, I could easily afford a certain 4 string, the 5er is way more expensive, and I can't get my hands on a 6er in person. I'm thinking that I'll probably just go with a 4.
  5. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda Supporting Member

Just got a five string but with a High C much more melodic and simpler.
  6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

I personally really like the additional positions that 5ers provide, and the fact that they let me avoid retuning when my guitarists go to drop-D. I don't think I'd get as much use out of the additional high notes of a sixer (and it would probably confuse the Hell out of my guitar playing).
  7. edpal

edpal Tick-tock, she's not just another pretty face! Gold Supporting Member

The 5 strings are a good deal, but they will gouge you on that + one.

But seriously, just use the search function, this has to be in the top 5 topics here for debate.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

9. Bocete

Bocete Supporting Member

The low B string on a fiver is not in your way, unlike a 6er. Assuming standard tunings. You got a nice thumb rest for the right hand and the left hand will not even touch the extra string. Also, even if you don't need any notes below E it's sometimes easier to use the B string from the 5th fret and up.

Cost is basically the same. Playability is the same assuming you get a 19mm or 20mm string spacing fiver, and some people prefer narrower string spacing (even on 4 strings).

But if the fiver costs more than what you're willing to pay, well you just answered your question. I cannot see how this can be the case though, they cost pretty much the same.

I always wanted a 5er, played a 4 string for years until I could get a nice 5er, now have 2 5ers and wouldn't have it any other way.
  10. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

For me, no. I don't like 5-strings. For others, yes. They are very popular.
  11. metalhead398

metalhead398

Yeah, I tried, but couldn't find a thread devoted to the subject, thought I'd make one.
  12. spz8

spz8

After playing 6 strings for years, it's a struggle to go back to even a 5 string, especially under 24 frets. A 4 string is simply out of the question now. When I first started, the B string was a novelty, and the high C string almost never saw any use, but once I started incorporating it more and more into my playing (especially chord work), the extended range became a necessity.
  13. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

5 shall be the number of strings and the number of strings shall be 5.

6 is right out!
  14. UserName9000

UserName9000

I'm new here and new to bass. The search function has kept me from needing to post a lot of threads. There's a thread for almost everything here!
  15. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Speaking as someone who jumped from 4 to 6 a few months ago: Yes.

That said, I would go back to a 5 if the band I was playing in called for it. 4 only if a drop-tuning is heavily involved, as that's much easier than always moving to the 3rd fret on the low B.
  16. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

5string!
  17. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

If you need it and can use it, then its worth it.
  18. spz8

spz8

If it's a busy or complex line with an open string (ex.: drop D), I'd just drop the E of the 6 string.
  19. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Absolutely
  20. zortation

zortation Distant relative of Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson Supporting Member

Just take a look at the classifieds and see how many guys came to that realization AFTER they bought the bass....