1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is it a ripoff?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by cv115505, Feb 18, 2014.

1. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

I am a long-time bass guitar player looking to make the move to the upright. I am enlisted USAF, so I'm not exactly raking it in making an Upton or some antique piece out of the question. I have, however, found a restored Engelhardt that I really like the sound and playability of, but the price-tage has me concerned. The shop owner told me it had a broken neck that he had to set with long lag screws, it was completely re-finished, bridge redone, and new strings. He's wanting $1850 for it... Now, I have looked over the internet and $1850 is about the most expensive I have seen a new Engelhardt going for, but I also know that setups are a must when you first buy an upright which can run into $200-$300. I have also been told that the repair may not lost a long time. I really don't have the money to put into constant repairs or an all out replacement, so I need to know if this is a good price for what I am looking at. Also, if it is not, what would be a good offering near the $1000-$1500 range?
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Don't just walk away, walk away laughing.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

You can get a new Engelhardt for that kind of money.
  4. cv115505

Confirming what I already thought so far
  5. cv115505

OK, so if this one is an obvious no, what would be some good companies to look at in my price range?
  6. elgecko

elgecko

7. cv115505

I'll check it out thanks! Also I found a Strunel (spelling?) Hybrid for $1500
  8. cv115505

Strunal*.... it ain't easy being green
  9. kenneffdupriest

kenneffdupriest Supporting Member

the answer to your question is yes
  10. meandering

meandering

look at the sticky in the top of the Basses forum. The question of "what is the best best for under $1500" has been covered extensively. Shen is a name that comes up a lot (I do not have one).

Do you know any double bassists? It is very helpful to bring along an experienced player when shopping around. Buying from a reputable shop also has advantages. good luck with the search!
  11. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

The lower-end plywood Shens are solid basses that can be had, professionally set up, for under $1500 from a number of shops. I have a middle-of-the-line carved Shen and it's fantastic.

Engelhardts are OK for what they are, and the tone should suffice if you want to play roots music. I had a plywood Strunal that was an OK bass, but the hardware was garbage.
  12. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    You can get a lot of bass for 1500 at KC Strings here in Kansas City. The drive isn't as bad as you think.

If you come up let me know and i'll go to the shop with you.
  13. marvin spangles

marvin spangles

+1on the Shens . Good value and well made
  14. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

15. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

+1, +10,+100..... +1000!!!! I'd bet that fellow has some nice swampland with a snakeoil production center for sale too.....

If you only have $1500 and you want a $2500 bass, you will be much better off to wait six months and save up a little more than to waste precious $$$ on low end junk, regardless of the country of origin.

Stationed at Tinker AFB??? I was stationed there in the mid '80s. WOWWWWWWW was that a boring place to be 20 years old!!!!!!! I do remember a few local cowgirls that left quite an impression on me.....

At that time, MWR had a music department. It would be worth checking with them to see if it is still around. They have a nice budget for musical instruments ( a very expensive new or vintage bass costs about 1/100000000 of the budget for a single bomb.....). When I was there, I was able to basically sit down with the manager, tell them what I thought would be a good addition, and they would buy it.

I was also able to bybass my regular job and go on tour with several of the USAF bands for months at a time- a nice vacation. When in those bands, I had a HUGE budget for equipment- in the order of $25,000 per year per person.

I'd also suggest getting in touch with some of the players in the base band. They will likely be able to have other sources on base for equipment that you can access. If you can find the right person (challenging), usually with a bribe of a nice case of malt beverages, you can get them to search the global inventory, find a nice double bass somewhere else, and then get it shipped to your base for use if they (or you) have a need. 'Gotta learn to play the game, and you are in a profession that has hundreds of, if not thousands years fine tuning the game.

OKC is pretty gentrified these days. In the mid '80s there were 100s of pawnshops with great equipment for almost free. On my first year airman's paycheck I could find so many great instruments for almost nothing that I actually had a nice side business selling instruments to shops like Mandolin Brothers in NYC who had a better market and demand.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com
  16. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings

I'll set one up exactly like you want and get you started right. The Krutz plywoods are very nice for the money.
  17. cv115505

PMed
  18. cv115505

Sounds like you were here during an awesome time... those days are long gone unfortunately....
  19. BrettBelanger

BrettBelanger

Definitely walk away. Consider a Shen SB80!
  20. fatpanda

fatpanda