Is it de-constructive to practise when you're tired?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jamerman, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Jamerman

Jamerman

I hear people say how it's bad to practise too often, or if you're having a bad night just to leave it. But I just wanna know if people ever continue to practise when they're tired/sleepy, and if they have done if it's worth it or not
  2. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

There's a technical term for people who look for excuses (like "too tired", etc.) not to practice: Hacks

Chances are, if you gig enough, someday you're going to be gigging tired or otherwise not at your 100% best. Better learn how to deal with it.
  3. Jamerman

Jamerman

I don't mean effort levels, I mean just is it de-constructive to practise when you may not be entirely focussed on the playing
  4. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

Sometimes, yeah. I started a thread about how at our last practice, our drummer was clearly "out of it". He was obviously tired and worn out. His playing showed it.

I wouldn't cancel practice due to something like this though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote

There is definitely a point of diminishing returns. That is to say, you are no longer able to focus well enough to get anything substantial and lasting from your practice session, other than successfully fighting the urge to take a nap. It varies from person to person.
  7. PWRL

PWRL

I think it actually is, yes. The guitarist Howard Roberts once remarked that once you've got a part right during practice, set the instrument down for a while so that it settles in right. I've found this to be good advice. That being the case, I believe that when one is too tired, having a good practice is less likely than when one is in better form.
  8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I'd say so if the practice includes trying to learn a new song or technique. However, if your brain is saying, "no thank you" to any new ideas, then just go over things you know well, scales, patterns, whatever to increase flexibility and muscle memory. Knowing yourself and how you learn is essential to planning a working practice routine.
  9. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

I can sort of agree about being tired but I practice into the morning hours of night sometimes. But I don't think there is such a thing as practicing too often. You either want to get better or you don't. It's all muscle memory with your hands. The MORE you practice the better you will get more quickly.
  10. spade2you

spade2you

Some of us have day jobs and families that can tire out even the best endurance athlete. After multiple 10 hour shifts in a row working as a pharmacist, I'm tired and not ashamed of that. Thow in changing diapers the second I get home and I barely have enough energy to chug a beer and go to bed.
  11. bswag

bswag Not a Real Bass Player Supporting Member

There's also a technical term for people who pretend they can function in their sleep: dumb. Well, there's another as well: drug addict.

I've seen too many gigs played by the former. They shoulda stayed home! As for the latter, well, unless your name is Keith Richards- but even ol' Keef slowed it down!

I think Howard Roberts had it right. The only thing I ever got from practicing when I was too tired was a buncha crusted-up drool on my instrument from when I passed out. That didn't do anything for my "muscle memory."

That's just for individual practice-time; band practices depend on the odds of everyone being mostly-functional at once. But I'm sure there's plenty about that sort of thing in the Band Management forum, so I'll buzz off.
  12. electracoyote

electracoyote