Is it "fake" music if you don't have legitimate problems?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Apr 9, 2014.

1. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/04/08/frankie-palmeri-sad-one-remembers-birthday/

Does it sound odd I actually get where Frankie's coming from? I mean this **** dictates status. Marriage etc. before all the "metal superstars" popped on the grid they DID have something to talk about. Ozzie only became a rock star after he (admitted this in his bio) killed off every opportunity to get a job/career. Now it's like any suburban kid who wants to fit in starts a metal band to try to look cool by venting at the world. So is it still "cool"?

EDIT: my tapatalk app crapped itself before I could finish, so let me elaborate. I know anything I really read from metal sucks is almost a joke but this thread kinda hit home with me. I'm middle class in the true sense that money didn't grow on trees as I was raised (and wherever it comes from now it crops up a lot less). But I always remember being discouraged from "playing the music I felt like", which fell under mostly metal, some punk. I remember one of the best examples of what I'm trying to say is I saw "the filth and the fury", a documentary of the sex pistols. And I remember I thought it was cool and I casually brought it up with my dad I wish I could make that sort of impact, and I pretty much got this snobby answer of "well back then they actually had something to say. What could you possibly say to the world?" Needless to say, conversation over.

Anyhow, this article flashed me back and I felt the question needed to be asked.
  2. TomA1234

TomA1234

No. If you join a "metal" band (more likely a "core" band) to be cool/fit in, you are faking it. If you join one because you love the music and it's just what you want to do, you are doing it for the right reasons.
  3. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

Well I mean for musicians, there isn't really a ton of options as fun as playing metal/punk. Unless you wanna hunch down and "get really serious" and play fusion jazz or classical or classic rock, where it's all purely the message of "ENTERTAINMENT FOR ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL PEOPLE" instead of "this is how I feel".

But sometimes I see bands try to get so dark and carnal, it's almost insane.

http://youtu.be/YTJnHswIqWA

This band is actually a favorite of mine but I can't overlook the fact that their "theme" totally backfired on fans and they came off more like a comedy festival band.
  4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

You don't have to have had legitimate problems to play punk or metal, just don't pretend you did!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Let me get this straight. If you own a dog and/or are married, it's impossible to have legitimate problems worth venting about?:confused:
  7. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

Judging from song lyrics of a ton of bands then I would say they're really faking it then...
  8. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

I think what he's trying to say is if you basically have your life carved out for you in conforming to standards like owning a dog or being married, you basically become "average" like everyone else; that you won't be different or unique and you'll just be "faking" trying to be cool in a metal band by trying to write about problems.
  9. chungweishan

chungweishan

10. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

I just write about waiting for stupid customers in convenience stores (where it's a total inconvenience) or overflowing toilets.

Oh and I don't really write metal, it's more like trance step core.
  11. IncX

IncX

you mentioned Sex Pistols. you know they are a manufactured band right? ... so thats it right there, "faking it."

the music may not be fake, but the stories behind them probably are.
  12. Monster Truck

Monster Truck bassist for GESH Supporting Member

You don't need to have any problems to be sincere playing punk. Lots of punk songs, nearly anything by Dead Kennedys for example, were written more or less as a social/political commentary.
  13. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

Like Johnny rotten saying he wore garbage in public to make a statement about how disgusted he was?
  14. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

My favorite band is probably the Cure. They are known among other things (but really far from just that) for very melancholic and sad songs, a lot which about failed relationships. Robert Smith has been with the same girl since he was 14 (so about forty years by now). Clearly he lived through none of the heartbreak lyrics he wrote. Still doesn't make them any less good.

I don't care if what you sing about isn't real, as long as it sounds real. Or at least if I relate to it.

As for metal, when you're singing about some sacrificial night in number of the beast or the things you've seen in Hangar 18, I don't really stop to think about how genuine you're being and if you really lived these experiences... it's kinda not the point. (I know there's metal with more personal lyrics but at least one of those bands was mentioned in the article)
  15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Metal By Numbers is a classic :bassist:
  16. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Linkin Park gets as heavy as anything I'll actually listen to. Their message of upper middle to upper class angst and loss is as valid as anything Black Flag or Suicidal Tendencies ever wrote.
    Just for the record, must punkers and metal heads that I've known and/or researched were from middle to upper middle class backgrounds. Angst is angst- you don't have to suffer poverty or become a junkie to write a good song.
  17. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

So were all fakers. Gosh darn-it. So now if I write real songs, will I be responsible if someone takes them too real? :D

Because I'll totally have been fake responsible.
  18. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I like turtles.
  19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Just don't act like you've had the upbringing of one of the Four Yorkshiremen if you're just annoyed with your parents ;)
  20. TomA1234

TomA1234

I think with slam/superextremebrutal death metal, it's almost become a self parodying sub genre, with every new band trying to out-gore/out-offend the other (Kraanium, Waking the Cadaver, VxPxOxAxAxWxAxMxC, Begging for Incest etc.) and generally just end up being funny. :p
  21. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

Yea but you gotta admit those growls (or snores, they sound like) just are so much more brutal.

Then they put out a music video.....let's just say it was so perverted it got banned from YouTube into the lands of Vimeo, and for a moment I questioned my judgment of them.......I'll just say click if you dare.