1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is it just me or does anyone else hate this line?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by AWillis93, Feb 20, 2013.

1. AWillis93

AWillis93

When ur playing a gig and some guy or girl in the audience walks up to you and "slapping the bass man." or someone sees u with your bass and says it does it ever get old to y'all or is this just me. Yea it was cool for the first 1000 times i heard it but no its gotten kinda old. Anyone else with me?

2. JustinStrings

JustinStrings

3. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

Slappin deh beyayce, moN!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Eh, who cares? They meant it as a compliment.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

god yes... I had a friend who used to say it all the time, then I saw that movie. I told her to stop. Geddy Lee doesn't slap the bass, any real Rush fan knows that.

7. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Ya it gets old. I tell them they should slap the dang drummer... he's the one who keeps speeding up the songs... sheesh..:atoz:

8. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

With only about 10% of my playing being slap-style, I don't really get this line thrown at me, all that much, so I'm cool.

9. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

With 0% of my bass playing being slap, I hear it all the time. Rather annoying. Didn't realize it was from a movie :/

--

10. Steve Marquez

Steve Marquez

Was just sitting in class today and two guys from across the room say, "hey Steve! Slappin da bass mon!!" It was kinda funny but I could maybe see it kinda sorta getting on my nerves in a decade or so.

11. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I have never seen the movie. But I just youtubed the clip. What an annoying (and not funny) piece of crap. And thank goodness no one has ever hit me up with that one. And now that I know what it came from, I really hope nobody does it from here on out. They would probably get offended at my response.

"Maybe I slappa you fass mon!"

12. Raymeous

Raymeous

Awesome! I almost cried on that one. Too funny. :D

13. the wako kid

the wako kid

I actually get that one thgrown at me a lot,but it doen't bother me,especially if I'm actually playing slap. it gets retarded when they actually try to imitate that movie when they say it. I was calling it slapping the bass for a couple years before that movie came out.

totally unrelated,but I once had a vocabulary assignment for english class where I had to write a sentence for "Debase" so I wrote "I slappa debase."

14. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

You should hear my 3 and 6 year old daughters say it! It will never get old.
    When she was 5 she wrote a note (I couldn't write in Kindergarten!)
    "Daddy's favorite things. Playing with his girls and Slappa Da Bass"
    Precious.

15. capncal

capncal

i'm just stoked the know i'm holding a bass.

16. Yango

Yango

I've honestly never heard those comments, ever.

17. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Touche!

18. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

My response would be:

"You are confusing me with the guy who is always found in the bass section of a Guitar Center."

19. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

I've been using this..."don't you think that's a little racist? Then I look at him all butthurt disgusted like.

And like all today's comedic actors...Rudd and the other guy he hangs around with the "know how I know you're gay?" guy, The guy from the office Michael, Zak Gnrfakinakiganigaliuous (who was only funny in "Dog Bites Man") and most of those guys are funny for about one movie...then they play the same character movie after movie after movie. See Adam Sandler for reference.

Now Will Ferrell? Never funny. Not for one minute. Jack Black, ditto.

20. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

thats up there. the other one that bugs me is "more cowbell" we use cowbell in the intro to one song. the singer actually does the cowbell part and every time he gets it out you hear about 2/3 of the audience yell "more cowbell" and the other 1/3 yell "i got a fever"

21. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Well... that's what you get for using cowbell. ;)
    (my apologies to anyone who might actually BE a cow)