Is it normal to plan your fingering?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Whousedtoplay, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

2. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Totally normal... or at least it should be if you're working on difficult parts or fast runs. You're getting your hands used to it with muscle memory. What? The right hand doesn't need to join the party on the muscle memory? Absolutely.

3. Jensby design

Jensby design

I do not think about it on bass anymore, I did for the first two years but that was back when I played four hours a day. If I get my fingering wrong I just correct it next time around, so I guess I think about after mistakes.
    Now cello :eek: I have to think about both hands at all times, sometimes I forget to breath :oops: But I never put the time on that instrument I have on bass.

4. pfox14

pfox14

I was taught as a young lad to practice scales with 4 - 1/8th notes per note making sure I am alternating index and middle finger on my right hand. That resulted in a fundamental plucking mechanism that is now automatic when playing anything else. I really don't have to think about my right hand. However, when I am learning a song or practicing something more complex, I do play it slow and work out the best fingering for my left hand so I don't have to think about it later. Hope that helps.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

I believe the OP is talking about quicker licks... not every single note. For example, when we play YYZ the bass solos in there are pretty quick and I did work out my right hand plucking on those.... even the main riff of YYZ I think. Sweet Home Alabama... nah... never thought about it. It depends on the speed of the line you're playing IMO.

7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Of course the goal of technical studies it to have a technique that you don't think about as you play music. If you've ever watched a kid learn to walk you see the mental process and balance control at work with extreme concentration. But very few of us walk normally and have to think left-right-left-right. And reading aloud, only in very few cases do we have to think of how word should be pronounced, but the kids in 1st grade regularly 'sound out' words. It's all a part of the learning process, and even at the highest level we'll need to revisit the concepts from time to time.

8. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

After 40+ years playing...I don't think about it often. Every now and again, however, I have to when putting a song together. If the song is a cover that a good bassist used a pick (B. Oakley or J.P. Jones) - I may have no choice. Whatever it takes to make a song sound good and/or capture the essence of what is needed IMO... ;)

9. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

lol, I only meant when improvising a solo. You might not have been referring to me though - lol but..my 2 cents.

When I was learning Donna Lee, yeah I planned out the best routes for my left hand and in a couple spots my right hand because I was trying to figure out the best way to play it using Gary Willis's 3 finger technique.