Is it ok to post a cover tune on Soundcloud?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassvi, Nov 11, 2012.

1. bassvi

bassvi

I have some live cuts of covers from my band I would like to post on facebook and my webpage via Soundcloud, but I'm concerned about copyright infringement.. Does anyone know if posting live tracks of your band playing someone else's song is breaking a copyright law? I'm not trying to sell the music, just do some PR for the band.......

Thanks.....
  2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Don't worry about it.
  3. DougD

DougD Bassman7654 Supporting Member

As long as you are not selling them you wont have a problem.
  4. Corbeau

Corbeau

I've seen several people post covers on their soundcloud. You'll be fine as long as the tracks are freely available.
  5. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    My brother is an intellectual property attorney and he and I have discussed this topic several times. Chances are you won't have a problem but he owner of the copyright could sue you since you do not have permission to use the song and you are obviously posting it in an attempt to promote your band and profit from the song.
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The worst that could happen is you would get a cease and desist letter, if they knew where to send it.
  7. Bradass

Bradass

+1, this is the truth. You're not going to get sued unless you're actually selling something. You should have no problems just posting a cover of it, especially if the title/info clearly shows that it's your band covering another band's song.