Is it okay to go to guitar center if your not buying anything

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassistcali, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

If you know theres not way at all you will and your just chilling there or meeting someone
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    More often than not, I go to music stores just to browse with no intention of buying anything. One time when I was selling a 1977 Precision, I met the buyer at a Guitar Center so he could play it through an amp. Within one minute of playing it, he pulled out $1,500 and paid me in the bass room. As I was counting the cash, an employee walked in and asked what we were doing. I told him that I was selling a bass. He laughed and said "that's awesome" then walked away.
  3. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I wouldn't want to go there with out some sort of musical goal, it's ok if I don't buy something if I wanted to research a product or look at their used stuff that's available or "x" product and I see it's not what I thought it was. But going there to chill or jam with someone on gear they(GC) own is on par with those guys that go to Starbucks to use the WiFi but don't buy a single product.
  4. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    Sure.

I go to music stores when I travel (I don't travel often), if I'm killing time and one's in the neighbourhood, or even just on a whim.

I like seeing what's new and enjoying the guitar/bass eye candy if it's available.

I may not be buying that day, but I might be in the future, so seeing what they have, checking out the prices and seeing how they treat me.

But I am honest with the sales staff, I am there simply to look.

And before the internet was common musicians (especially guitarists & bassists) hung out in music store having conversations like we do here.

That sill happens, but not as much.

It's a good way to get to know a store & its staff-- and it may be the start of a beautiful friendship.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stratovani

stratovani

Yes, but I don't go there nearly as often as I used to, maybe just 2 or 3 times a year, mostly just to check out stuff. I kind of get tired of all the wankers trying to show off how fast they are on guitar, so I'll slip into the acoustic room, just to get away from that for a while, then I'll head on home.
  7. oboylebass

oboylebass

Is it O.K. to go to Guitar Center if you're not going to be buying anything?

Yes. It is. It's ok. It will be ok. Everything will be ok.
  8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

No. You should feel terrible about yourself. For shame.
  9. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    GC is a catalog with walls. Except the catalog has all the same stuff you can see in pretty much any store.
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

"...if your not buying anything..."

Depends, what is it of yours that's not buying anything?

Or do you mean: "...if you are not buying anything...", which would be correctly contracted to "...if you're not buying anything..."

?
  11. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

I think the bolded is the key sentence. As I understand it the culture of musical instrument sales is for us to go and try out different instruments over a time period and buying a specific instrument. It is a bit different from going to a store to get expert help from a commissioned salesman with the intention of then buying the next example off of an assembly line from the discount online seller.
  12. KiltBass

KiltBass

It's not your responsibility to buy anything. It's the store's responsibility to try to sell you something. If not this time, then maybe next time you come in. But in order to sell you anything, they have to get you inside the door. That's what the WiFi in Starbucks is there for as well. I don't think it's cool not to buy anything ever, or try out something in the store and then turn around and get it on the net. But if you're a retailer, that's one of the risks, there will be no sales in an empty store.
  13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

If I go into a music shop, there's one thing for sure. I won't steal anything. Otherwise, I'm there to entertain myself, mostly. Occasionally I will buy something. That goes for every shop I go into.
  14. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I make almost weekly rounds to the music stores. I look at the stock, especially the used stuff, strike up a conversation with the owner and employees. Occasionally I buy something I need or want.

I may go many months without making a purchase. One music store was so friendly and helpful, after a couple years of not buying anything, we did a remodel at church and since I did the purchasing for stuff like that, I went to THAT music store because of the way I was always treated.

I bought a high end Roland keyboard, Roland V-drums, 32 channel mixer and a few power amps. A few thousand all dropped at once.

They earned it.

At one store where I worked as a tech, the head of the guitar dept said that the average customer stops in 20 times before buying anything. He later ran the guitar dept at the new GC that opened in town. Great guy. He treated everyone well and never badmouthed anyone in the back room (where I worked.)

It's simply how the business works.
  15. Papazita

Papazita

I went to my nearest GC for the first time in about a year the other day, hoping to find some of the new Ibanez models and the new Fender Dimension. I scanned the walls, asked all 4 employees who approached me (none of whom had a clue what I was talking about. Go figure), didn't see what I wanted, and left.

I wasn't there for more than 5 minutes.

I went to the Sam Ash down the road and they didn't have anything, either. Here's the difference; where the GC guys all looked at me like "huh?" :confused:, the guys at Sam Ash looked up all 5 bass models I was interested in, found out they won't be in stores for at least another month, and got the store manager to order one of each so that they WILL have them next month for me to try out. I really wanted to check out the new singlecut Ibanez BTB, but having never played that style of bass before, I'm not sure if I'll like it. When I mentioned this, the salesman said "hold on, don't go anywhere," went into the back, and came back with his own personal RBass single cut for me to try out.

Guess which store will be getting my business? :cool:
    D. Gallis and VanillaThundah like this.
  16. corinpills

corinpills

Nah, the real thing to worry about is getting through high school english with no intention of learning basic grammar.

A joke, man. A little joke. Here's an emoticon to make it better: :)
    hover and SunnBass like this.
  17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 I really wish you wouldn't
  18. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Oops.
    I thought it read "Is it ok to go to Guitar Center if you're buying anything?"
    My mistake.
    Howlin' Hanson likes this.
  19. ZenG

ZenG

You cannot go there and just meet somebody and chill.

It's your duty to try out as many guitars as possible.

Remember......."Smoke On The Water"....and......"Sunshine Of Your Love"............with the D-string horribly off-tune.
    huckleberry1 and mtb777 like this.
  20. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Is it okay to post on Talkbass by texting with your cellphone?

No.
  21. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

I rarely go, and when I do I am most likely not there to purchase anything. Back in the day when they used to give you nice discounts and negotiate I would almost always walk out with something. But now, IMO they lost a lot of business by taking that away and I simply just do not bother wasting my time to get over to a GC to buy something I could just buy at home in my PJ's while munching on some Cocoa Pebbles.

As it has been stated, I don't feel bad for going there simply to showroom. Try out things and buy it somewhere else cheaper. Meeting there for used sales is smart too! Public, amps to try out, etc. It's like going to Starbucks and using their WIFI and not buying a coffee!