1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is it overdubbing, effect or playing technique

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by belzebass, Dec 3, 2013.

1. belzebass

belzebass

... or all three?

In any case I would like to know how he does it here:

There's only bass and drums in the group, no guitar.

I definitely hear harmonizing, but is it done by overdubbing, or effect, or playing?

In any case, he has a great sound, how does he do it?

Thanks.
  2. Amren

Amren

I would say effects. He plays just single notes with a pick.

But without looking at the clip i could definitely hear a bass, and a guitar. But where is the guitar. I've found this.

That's live and there is just no guitar.

"Benji must get through 4 or 5 drum kits a week with the intensity of his playing and bassist/ vocalist Michael runs through guitar and bass amps as well as an array of aftereffects to contriubute to the massive sound."

So that's the trick.

My guess is that the recording you send was probably with overdubbing as well. Cause i could hear the bass playing different notes as the 'guitar' sound. In the live clip you could hear the 'guitar' sound doing the same as the bass sound.
    So that's probably guitar amps being overdriven, and maybe and octave up along the way as well.
    my 2 cents
  3. belzebass

belzebass

And if I would do the dual guitar (my bass with octave up and dstortion) and bass (clean bass or a little driven), do I really need to push it in two separate amps, or can I feed the signal to the bass amp ?
    I don't really care for very high response, all above 5 khz seems rather useless to me :)