is it possible and/or wise to install a battery box in/on the control cavity shield?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by yodedude2, Jan 27, 2014.

1. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i want to install an active pickup system in a bass that currently has no battery box. i would much prefer not to rout the wood. is it possible and/or wise to install the battery box by cutting a hole in the control cavity shield and bolting the box to the shield? looks like there would be room in the cavity to pull this off 'as is' with no additional routing.

has anyone done this before? a quick search turned up nothing like this...

2. P Town

P Town Guest

Someone recently posted about an active system that contained a rechargeable battery, that gets charged through the output jack. I don't recall the brand name. That might be worth looking into.

3. john m

john m Supporting Member

My Modulus basses all had the batteries (9 x 2= 18v)
    in the same pocket and the pots and preamp.

The batteries were wrapped in 1/8" foam to keep them from banging around. No clips, just connectors with snaps.

DC does not induce noise.

4. yodedude2

thanks, guys. p-town, emg sells those but i don't think i would like them. i'd sooner get a battery bag and hang it from my strap, an idea i am also considering.

john m, i'm looking to install a battery box in the cover to facilitate battery changes--i want to remove the battery when storing the bass and do not want to remove the cover every time i want to remove the battery.

again, thanks for the responses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

Far be it my place to inject my thoughts on a technical subject (but it's never stopped me before) :D

It would be less work to open the cavity every 9 months to change the battery than it would be to do the installation you have in mind, although it sounds like a great idea.

I would also nonsensically suggest getting a second cavity cover to experiment on so if you botch it, you still have a good one.i think it may work but make sure you use good adhesive if there's no other way to mount it.

Good luck!

7. yodedude2

quick update for anyone interested: i took some measurements and ordered the 'compact wide' battery box from guitar parts resource. it will be a tight fit but just might work. i plan to use tiny bolts and screws to secure the box to the control cavity cover. i may also need to use bolts and inserts for the cover itself; we shall see.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Don't sweat it man. I've got an active J Plus with a back routed control cavity and it takes a couple minutes to swap out the battery every 8~10 months or open it up to remove the battery if needed.

When I played out all the time this was the bass I used and I kept the required screwdriver, a spare 9V, and a penlight in the case and even in the dark on top of the case it's still a simple thing, hardly enough to worry about installing a battery box.

Another thing to consider, the way mine is done it would require routing out a lot of body wood to put a battery box in the cover. It's tight in there and the battery has just enough room for it and the two little foam pads that keep it in place.

9. Technicality

Technicality

I did this to my L2000 Tribute. The main reason really was that I disliked unscrewing and screwing in woodscrews every time I had a reason to go in there and had managed to lose one of them.

I made a new panel out of aluminium so I could hang onto the original, and so it wouldn't flex when the box is opened/closed. I also put in threaded inserts & machine screws to replace the wood screws. Here's a before/after:
    [​IMG]

I did have to remove about 5mm of wood from the side of the compartment, but take it slow and its not that difficult or dangerous.

Very happy with how mine turned out. Its been like that for nearly a year played every day with no problems. Its reassuring to know that if I need to I can swap the battery quickly. Hope yours goes well also!

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Nice job!!

There must be a ton of space under that G&L plate. I could never wedge something that big into my control cavity. I'd have to route a hole in my body to put in something like that.

There is also the fact I only have 4 screws holding the cover on and it came from the factory with inserts and machine screws so I've never any worry over punking out threads from running them in and out too much.

12. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    Technicality (member ^ ) - that plate looks great! I'm almost surprised more manufactures don't do something like that. Definitely for the home woodworker your method is about as zero fear as it gets. I wish more manufacturers would use the boxes where the battery snaps right in instead of a battery clip that can get pulled off.

13. Technicality

Technicality

Thanks!

The battery used to sit under the cover in a slot cut out of the wood in the exact same position as the box is now. As a result the space was there and almost the right size already, and I just had to account for the difference in size between the battery, and the battery box.

The wood cut really beautifully with just a chisel and light hand pressure, so I didn't need power tools to enlarge the space. Much less stressful than you would think.

14. yodedude2

that is exactly what i want to do. thank you for the encouragement!