1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is it possible to fix preamp of Genz Benz GBE 600

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by karla684, Mar 11, 2014.

1. karla684

karla684

Media:
    Hi,

A local store has a used Genz Benz GBE 600 which I'm quite interested in. However, when I tried it today it seemed like the preamp section of the amp was broken. I didn't get any sound when plugging my bass into input (neither on the FET or Tube channel). However, connecting the bass to the effects return resulted in sound from the speaker.
    Seems like the preamp right?

Is it possible to buy a new preamp or parts from Genz Benz? Do you think it's possible to fix. I was thinking of buying it malfunctioning and fix it in that case...

Appreciate any input on this!
    Cheers,
    Kalle

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

You might PM agedhorse on Talkbass. He engineered some of their amps.
    Have you been pulling and replacing tubes? If so and you weren't careful you could have broken a solder joint. Also the effects jack that connects the preamp to the output amp may not be making good contact connection. Did you try and insert a instument cable into the Pre-out and return jacks to connect them together? If it works then you have a jack problem. If it doesn't then your problem is definately in the Pre-amp section.

3. karla684

karla684

Media:
    Thanks for the reply! Sorry if these are dumb questions, but if a solder joint is broken for the tube, shouldn't the FET channel work at least?

Do you mean to connect the effects loop Send with the Receive/Return? If so, I did not try that. Could be worth testing.

Thanks!
    Kalle

4. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

Broken solder joint on the input jack?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Of course it can be repaired, if the necessary parts are available.

Its also impossible to know how much that repair might cost without knowing the cause of the problem.

It might be a couple of bucks to fix or twice as much as the amp is worth.

The problem has to be diagnosed first.

Also if it was an obviously easy, cheap fix, the store would probably have already fixed it. With it being defective they will take a bath on the sale price.

7. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

How much do they want for it?

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Yes, the amp can be fixed, There are still have plenty of parts in stock. Generally with older products I find that just about everything can be repaired (at the factory level) within 2 hours labor plus an average of $25 in parts. You can PM me and I can get you the details.

9. LoveThatBass

Yes, it is quick, easy and free to try before you go taking apart etc.

10. karla684

karla684

Media:
    Thanks! Really helpful info. This is what I was looking for. I'll need to check with the store what their strategy is; whether they're gonna fix it or want to sell it in current state.

Cheers,
    Kalle

11. karla684

karla684

Media:
    Thanks for all replys. I will get back to the store and do some more testing and discuss price etc.

Cheers,
    Kalle

12. karla684

karla684

Media:
    Funny thing happened. I called the store and talked to another sales rep. He says he will look into it and call me back.
    Calls me later and says that there's nothing wrong with the head. He has just spent 10 minutes playing it.

I will go back to the store to try it out and see if it's for me.

13. LoveThatBass

Question, before taking it did you by chance try what I suggested and did it work. If so it is dirty contacts. Have them clean the jacks,

14. karla684

karla684

Media:
    So I went back to the store today and tried the head again. It was working on and off, and I tried to connect the fx loop send/receive but that didn't help.
    The head stopped working when I pressed one of the buttons; FET/tube, channel/mix, and extended L.F. Not every time I pressed them, but often.

And what got me signal back was unplugging and re-plugging the instrument cable from the bass a couple of times. Weird ha?! And there's nothing wrong with the bass or cable. Could a big volume spike when plugging in the bass have this effect?

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Andy made you a good offer. The decision is now yours not ours. You either pass on the amp or buy it at a reduced price, it's not working properly after all, and send it in to Andy who'll make it like new.

The ball is on your side of the net. :)

16. LoveThatBass

+1

17. karla684

karla684

Media:
    I didn't realize I might offend someone by asking questions in an open forum. If I did, I apologize sincerely.

But I hear what you say. I'll take it from here. Thanks for the help!
    Cheerio,
    K

18. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

If the sales guy witnessed this happening, offer him $65 for it then send it off to Andy for repair. These amps are the loudest 600 watt amps around and they were built to last. Mine is about 12 years old and has taken some serious abuse over the years and the only repair I did was replace the fan (thanks Andy) as it would whine until it warmed up.

19. karla684

karla684

Media:
    Thanks for the input! I would probably do what you suggest if I was living in the States (I live in Sweden). I think shipping arrangement would be too cumbersome and expensive for it to be worth it.

I've dismissed this GBE600 and continue my search for a new head. :bassist:

Cheers,
    Kalle

20. LoveThatBass

Kalle, no worries. You have not said nor done anything that should offend anyone. If it did it is their problem, not yours. I think people (me for one) thought you lived in the USA. In your situation I would have moved on also.

21. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Sorry Kalle, It appears that I missed the part about you living in Sweden, the cost of shipping would make the repair impractical for you.