1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is it possible to have a built in wireless transmitter in my bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Clouz, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola

i've always wanted one. anyone ever see or hear about a kit offered?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've never seen a kit, but I'm sure it's possible.

3. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola

if i ever build a warmoth i would do this. i think a transmitter could be integrated into a rear controlled cavity quite easily but i wonder about hum and noise issues. i'm sure i'm not the first to think of this but there has to be a reason why i've never seen one. maybe i could patent the idea and become a go-zillionaire?

4. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Yes... Dillinger escape plan has been doing it on guitars for years check out there rig rundown on YouTube. As long as you have enough room in the control cavity it's not that crazy of a mod.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

You don't have to gut a wireless transmitter just move the jack to the inside of the control cavity. Get a wireless system that uses a small all in one transmitter. By that i mean not the traditional ones that have a short cable. The ones where the 1/4 male is attached directly to the transmitter. If you need to use a cable for recording or whatever just leave the control cavity cover off. Unplug the transmitter and plug in you cable.

7. line6man

line6man

Of course it's possible. Whether or not it is desirable is a different story. Here are a few reasons it wouldn't catch on.

1. Basses with pre-installed wireless transmitters will only work with particular wireless receivers. This is kind of lame, from a production and marketing standpoint, because the basses will only be functional if you buy a particular piece of equipment to go with them. And furthermore, that equipment may eventually be outdated or upgraded. (Unless the basses are equipped with traditional output jacks, but reliance on them would defeat the point of having the wireless.)

2. Manufacturers would surely have to deal with certain compliance standards related to the use of wireless transmitters, and this adds to the cost and hassle of manufacturing and selling an instrument.

3. Bassists and guitarists have proven, time and again, to be very resistant to change, in regards to instrument technology. I'm sure many would view this as a novelty, and never take it seriously, even if it was indeed worth taking seriously.

4. It would be very easy to forget to turn the bass off when you're done with it. This is important, because wireless transmitters draw a fair bit of current, so batteries deplete very quickly. This is a user-error, of course, but even if it is silly, I have seen countless players express a preference to avoid active components on basses, because they are too worried about battery changes, and forgetting to unplug.

5. Similar to 4, the increased frequency of battery changes will probably deter people, even if they would have been fine with changing batteries in traditional wireless transmitters.

6. Similar to 3, complications to onboard circuitry tend to cause some people to fear the increased likelihood that something may fail, and leave them without a bass to play for a gig, or whatever. Though the inclusion of a traditional output jack as a failsafe, should alleviate this fear for most people.

8. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Micro Frets did this in the '60s, though I think prior to the Schaffer Vega units used by Angus Young wireless transmitters tended to suck.