Is It Really Worth.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenG, Dec 21, 2013.

1. ZenG

ZenG

Spending 200 bucks on a 200 dollar bass to improve it instead of buying a 400 dollar one in the first place?

2. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke

If you're going to have to make the same mods to a $400 to get what you want, sure it is. Because you spend more on a bass doesn't mean it will have the features you want. I think people should spend what they feel comfortable with to get the bass they want, not conform to someone else's idea of what good is, or what value is.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Moneywise, it's always a bad idea.
    If you have generic needs, buy a quality generic instrument it will always be better for the price than an upgrade. Better at resale, too.
    Now if you go the custom route, the idea is to get exactly what you want and need. Price and money value aren't very important.

4. ZenG

ZenG

hmmmmmm.....

I was looking at the Epiphone EBO. (Just looking, mind you)

From other forums I've been on this bass is probably close to the worst one ever made.

The biggest glaring error is the way they set the bridge up on it so that you have to use hardware store washers to take up the space on the end of the strings so the windings/silk don't rest on the saddles.

The internal electronics are purportedly crap.

That said the one thing many liked about it was the sound.

So one would probably have to change out the bridge (if they make one for this guitar)

And also do a little electronic work.....

Not that I personally want to....but I guess it could be done....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

It depends, some people may do it just for the learning experience, others may know what their doing, find super deals and build killer basses on the cheap, etc.

7. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

I would like to think that is what I do. In the real world it is more like I find ok deals, and build somewhat above average basses. At least I usually end up with a fairly decent return if I have to get rid of something.

So, I guess the moral is, upgrading a cheaper bass isn`t something to be afraid of. Though if I could get exactly what I wanted for more money, I would.

-Jake

8. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I just picked up an EB-0 earlier this week. If you can deal with the neck dive it's a fun little bass. I'd say they are worth the upgrades, but a Squier VM Mustang or Jag SS will probably get you more bang for your buck.

PS- If you decide to go with the EB-0 look for a used one that's made in Korea.

9. FenderBassist

FenderBassist In the land of drummers, the bass player is king. Supporting Member

This, for the most part.

Much of it depends on the exact instruments you're looking at in person...three identical models might sound/play differently...a used bass might be better than any new models you can afford...

10. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

I sold my EB-0 back in October. I never liked anything about it except the styling. The neck dive was horrible, the pickup was muddy and the strings were awful. Granted, some of that if fixable, but I couldn't even see myself upgrading it because the neck dive would still be a deal breaker for me. Definitely the biggest waste of money I ever spent. Thankfully I got close to what I paid for it.

I think you could do much better for your $400.