Is it rude?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Liam McMonigle, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

Hello TBers, I have GAS for a Rickenbacker, but I don't know if I'll like it or not (Neck profile, comfort etc). I have no plans on buying one for at least a year maybe, so is it rude to go into my guitar shop and ask to try one out, despite not having the intent to buy one for a while?
  2. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

If that's rude then most of us on talkbass are downright boorish. Personally, I am a huge jerk. The folks at the shop know there's more of a chance of selling you an instrument if you come inside and try some instruments than if you don't. The world won't end if you kick a few tires. Honest.
  3. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

I have done it many times. I don't see a problem with it.
  4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Personally, I believe a music shop is there for that exact reason. So that you can see what's available, try it out and then decide if you like it enough to buy it.
    I don't think it's always expected that you're going to buy it right then and there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

To all: it just seems that the people in my local music shop can be a bit iffy with there higher end gear, despite I have bought from them before and they know my face as I go in every week or so. I just don't like the attitude I feel towards me when I ask.
  7. Bow tie

Bow tie

I was sorta wondering what caused the question. Seems a little cheesy of them to act this way - but I imagine if they have to unlock the cabinet, now their sorta responsible or have to stand there or something.
    Even so, as long as your not showing up every afternoon wearing chains that might scratch the finish, they should just take it with a smile.
  8. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

Sounds like the folks at your local music shop are rude. Don't go there anymore.
  9. Spectrum

Spectrum

Are they as bad as Ray Charles was in the Blues Brothers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2EXWzMV18
  10. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Supporting Member

Then I would no longer give them your business. Small businesses thrive by establishing and building relationships. If they know you and still give off that vibe, go somewhere else. And, btw, I'm speaking from behind the counter.

Rob
    :bassist:
  11. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft I'm your Huckleberry... Supporting Member

It is only rude if you go in there often to try equipment, but then buy from an online entity or other competitor. IMHO, this is nearly unforgivable.
  12. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

I've only ever tried a squier from these months ago. I did ask to feel the neck profile on sadowsky and they just blankly said No. I didn't want to plug it in, just wanted to feel the profile of the neck, they further said "If you have the money on you, then it's fine"
  13. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I wouldn't bother going back there.

There are a few nuances to this, though.

If somebody visits a shop and is obviously just rifling through the inventory with no intention to buy anything then store staff are bound to be irritated - especially if you're playing with an aggressive technique that could damage the instrument (e.g. superfluous slapping).

If you are buying something but want a basis for comparison, very few stores have an issue. A few months ago I bought a Rockbass Streamer and wanted to try out a Warwick Streamer just to see what the differences were. The guy running the shop was more than happy to help because he knew I was a serious customer.

Trying everything out in the shop with no intention of buying anything would irritate me as a member of staff but a good salesman would answer questions and hopefully turn that situation into a sales opportunity.

You have every right to try instruments out but I'm of the belief that it should only be instruments you're interested in purchasing, or are on your radar for purchasing (no matter how far away). Provided you respect the stock, treat it with care and respect the environment, I wouldn't have a problem.

That shop hasn't treated you with respect. How do they know you're not intending to purchase a Sadowsky? Why do they feel they can make that assumption?

As for people trying instruments out and then buying online - I think that's unforgivable. Abhorrent.
  14. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

The reason I think they made that assumption is because I am only 17, but as I said I have purchased from them before, I am seriously considering a rickenbacker, hopefully sometime in this year, but if I don't like it I know I will spend it on something else.
  15. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

It's not rude, but I'd be upfront about probably not going to buy it.
    Has worked for me in the past.

First, kudos for showing Your age in your profile, not many teens tend to do that.

Nothing what so ever against You or the teens generally, but us older folks tend to be a bit grumpy towards younger folks.
    Wait a few years and You'll be grumpy too.
    Want to get there sooner, start a small business selling musical instruments :).

If it's any consolation, the music store owners/employees are a bit grumpy towards us older folks as well nowadays, after all, "we're there too just to try stuff out, and then buy it on-line".
    They -rightfully IMO- feel like being the showroom for on-line retailers.

With a small business, it's all about building a trust and makig them look at You as a customer. Instead of just as a someone who buys some random tidbit every once and a while, but wants to fondle expensive items often, in their view, just for the sake of fondling them no less.

I'd be upfront that I'm planning to buy a bass, possibly a Rickenbacker, or Sadowsky, or ... in a year or so, and possibly willing to buy it from them.
    If they want to stay in business, and have You as their customer, they should at least consider everyone as a potential customer.

OTOH, be glad that You actually have an actual store to go to, not that many around anymore.

Good luck.

Regards
    Sam
  16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Check it out. Just be very careful with it.
  17. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

Thanks for the reply Sam! I don't mind putting my age on as for being this young, music is my primary source of income :) but I will go in and tell them that I plan on buying a Ricky from them in the year :) it's the only place nearby which stock Rickenbacker so.. But thanks anyway!
  18. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

My response would be "You must not want to sell it."

That's some piss-poor salesmanship on display there.
  19. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

It's unfortunate that some teenagers have given the ones that are serious such a bad name.

You have a disadvantage in shops - your age. Don't worry. Act professionally, courteously and reasonably. If they're still difficult with you, that's their problem.

Incidentally, I wouldn't mention that you want to buy the Rickenbacker. I would just save the money up and go to try it out. If their assumptions are the same, I'd go elsewhere, even if that means travelling.

You might find that you don't like the Rickenbacker but with the money you've saved up you could get yourself something very nice.
  20. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

Thanks for the replies everyone! I appreciate it a lot! I've definitely learned that my age (17) is a set back, but I think I am going to go in and explain that I am looking for a high end bass from them in the next year, and I plan buying from them directly, not online :)
  21. LowNotes1

LowNotes1

Back in the mid-to-late 80's I went into the old Rondo Music store in Union, NJ. I was looking for an affordable electric, saw a Squier MIJ E-series Tele on the wall and asked to try it out. No problem. I liked the guitar, and told the salesperson I'd take it. I then watched in amazement as he proceeded to return the Tele to the wall, and go into the back of the store to get me another one. Uh, no, I told him, I want the one I just played, and he seemed surprised.

The default should be that you get the one you tried and liked, not the one they want to give you. If a store balks at letting me try an instrument, I walk out.