Is it worth modding Cort GB75?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkQueen, Oct 8, 2010.

1. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

I love the comfort of my Cort GB75 and some ppl say it is as good as a Fender Jazz V. (even USA ones)
    Mine is an older version so i got mighty mite pickups n humbucker n cheaper bridge. If I change them, my tone would be altered in a HUGE way or it is enough for live performances to use with its original parts?

2. dalkowski

dalkowski

Hi! Whatever happened to that local bass you were looking at last week?

To your question: "Is it enough for live performances" is for you to decide. Have you played it live? What kind of amp are you using (if you're playing through a bad-sounding amp, you should get a better amp before you touch the bass). Are you happy with the sound now?

You have a bass you're comfortable with, and that makes it worth keeping. If you want to upgrade it, then put better pickups in it first -- they'll do MUCH MUCH more for your sound than a new bridge would. But if you can afford to do both bridge and pickups, then do both.

3. lousybassplayer

lousybassplayer

I'd do it. Cort's make excellent mod platforms. If I end up keeping mine, its definetly worth it to me to update a few things. To me they are among the better mod platforms (that and the higher end brands' overseas lines they make) becasue they are a good enough bass to spend the money on, but not something you would feel like you were "screwing up" if you make changes to it.

4. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

Which humbucker and jazz pickup do u suggest? What brand of humbucker does Musicman use?

to dalkowski : I bought the cheap (190 USD) 6 string unheard brand bass.
    It is in the hands of a luthier right now. he ll put some kind of a pickguard on it as I am so used to it while slapping n popping. He ll also do the intonation etc for EADGCF tuning.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dalkowski

dalkowski

^^^ MusicMan use their own pups. Beyond that I can't give much pup info, but if you search TB you'll find TONS of opinions and recommendations on the right pup for the sound you want (including aftermarket pups for Musicmans).

US$190 sounds like a good enough price to get you into a 6-string.

What amp do you play? I ask because even a USD$4,000 bass will sound terrible through a bad amp....

7. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

I have Laney Richter R3.165 watt. very nice amp for home use.heavy one so i prefer a Sansamp DI on stage direct to the mixer.

8. dalkowski

dalkowski

Then mod your Cort - have fun!

9. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I think that Cort basses make excellent modding platforms,especially the GB series basses.If it were my choice as to which pickups I'd put in that bass it would probably be a tie between seymour duncan and Delano.But that being said,I own a 2001 GB44 with a single MM humbucker and I changed that out with a highend humbucker only to realize I like the original better.The GB series basses are definitly great once you find the right strings to compliment the bass,I use med-light guage GHS boomers and those sound perfect IMO.I found with these basses everything is reliable enough that I don't feel the need to change anything,YMMV.If I were to change one thing on my GB44 it would be the pickguard for aesthetic reasons (I think a black pickguard on amber body would be sexy :p) everything else beyond that is solid,the preamps are a little weak but still excellent for the price.

-Ron

10. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

Thanx Ron.I may keep it the way it is until I use it on stage often.
    GHS boomers : ill try them good idea. My strings are too old, can i boil them n use them again?
    how is it done? I mostly like very light gauge strings and i like playing chords and slap style.
    So u all mean that Cort is a keeper? I ll mod it if i ll keep it.
    I guess it seems like a keeper.

11. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

Only you can decide if its a keeper or not,but if you are worried about reliability that can vary from bass to bass but I wouldn't worry too much about it.I have been gigging my GB44 regularly since I got it 5 years ago and it has easily paid for itself many times over.

-Ron

12. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I have boiled strings in the past but those were sets that I was planning to get rid of soon and I just needed a little extra zing for a gig,after being boiled those strings may oxidize fairly quick and become useless.One tip I picked up along the way was to lets my strings soak in denatured alcohol overnight, you can buy denatured alcohol at hardware stores I think(?) and that should bring a little more life back to your strings.

-Ron

13. sixstringpoet

sixstringpoet

I did some mods on mine and am very happy with it now.

[​IMG]

elBandito likes this.
  14. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

looks cool. u added bartolinis. did u change the preamp part?

15. sixstringpoet

sixstringpoet

Yeah, I changed everything on her except for the input jack. the preamp i went with is the aggie ob3. sounds real good now.

16. Fat K

Fat K

Check out SGD stuff. He has jazz and MM style pickups. They are very clean and neutral sounding. I am very happy with his jazzbuckers in my Jag. Do a TB search.
    I am considering in getting a Cort GB 74 and mod it with SGDs, but need to offload couple of basses first.

17. thigpenchris

thigpenchris

Both those pickups are Bartolini's? What are the dimensions of those pickups? And did you have to do any special adjustments to make them fit? Because I am very interested in getting some barts for my GB75?

18. Etienne38

Etienne38

Hello.

After two years playing with my GB75, I would like to keep it for future, and it is time for me to get more punch and sound.

So, time to change the preamp and pickups :hyper:

I am strongly hesitating between good quality pickups, and it is not easy to find soundclips.

Do you have experiences with Delano - Barto - SD on that bass ?
    I found a vid on youtube with SD and I like the sound, so I would like to compare with the other one.

I would like as well to upgrade the preamp, but I have NO idea how to find which material is compatible with the bass. If you can provide me some help, thank you very much ;-)

19. abedzilla

abedzilla

Have you find the best replacement for the preamp?

20. Etienne38

Etienne38

I bought the GB75 fretless limited edition
    (that one with 5 strings instead of 4)
    [​IMG]

But that model has better preamp and pickups (+ additional piezzo pickup), so the sound was more dynamic and playing was really great

This was the reason why I wanted to upgrade my original GB75, and after a few monthes, BIG surprise, I found exactely the SAME, but fretted (very rare)

[​IMG]

So of course I IMMEDIATELY bought it, and sold my old good GB75 and I am very happy with both these twins :)

21. Dragan

Dragan

I am thinking of getting one of these. Lately I am digging HS configuration and can't afford Lakland for the moment....I tried an GB75,natural swamp ash and maple (my favourite combo anyway) the other day in local shop, and it sounded and felt pretty nice. I had my Sadowsky outboard with me and put the bass through it, it was really good. If it plays good in a band mix,I might be not change pick ups at all. Any more experiences with these basses?

Anyone knows what the swith is for? (I heard about some "slap tone")?

Cheers!!!