1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is it worth my time and effort?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sourtulip, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Sourtulip

Sourtulip

Hey all.

Iv been playing bass guitar for 2 years now and Im thinking about trying some other instruments out.
    When I got my first bass (also first instrument ever) it was actually because I dident have a place to play drums, which I thought would be my favorite instrument at the time.
    As I had tryed a friends guitar for a day a while back and dident find it very interesting, I decided to try out the bass and I was in love with it from the very start.

Anyway, I now do have a place where I could play the drums and I got my self a Yamaha DTXExplore to get me going - mostly for the fun of it, as I always want to keep bass guitar as my primary instrument. Also, I think that theres a lot of good theory and knowleadge on rhythm to gain from learning the basic of drumming which will translate well on to bass. Correct me if im wrong?

I also have been thinking about trying out some other instruments too. The ones I have in mind are double bass (thinking about buying an electric one, how close are these to the acoustic ones?), Piano/keyboard and guitar.

Double bass, because I would like to play it on a regular basis and maybe in a band then I feel that it fits the situation.

Piano/keyboard, because I think that basic piano skills might give me a better understanding of music theory as its very visual.

Guitar - Just some basic rhythm guitar so I can jam while around an open fire at summer time and also to, hopefully, gain some knowleadge on rhythm from it.

So, would this be a waste of time considering the following:

I will take my bass guitar playing far more serious and devote much more time to it.

I want to be in a band, as a bassist, and maybe as a drummer in the future as a secondary side project. But im sure that I dont want to play guitar or piano in a band.

Any thoughts on this are more than welcome :)
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Another instrument - Yes any of the rhythm section instrument do fold right into each other. Can not speak in detail about the drums, as I've never played drums before, but, I think you will find that all the rhythm section instruments do augment each other.

If I was going to double bass I would go with the acoustic double bass (stand up bass). You can always drop a mike in at the bridge and get some volume if you need to.

Keyboard is always a good choice as a second instrument as it has both the rhythm section (left hand) and the treble clef melody section. Theory is very easy to learn on the keyboard as everything is laid out in a straight line.

Your question about more than one being a waste of time? IMO no it would be time well spent, as they all augment the other instruments in the band. The more you know about other instruments just adds to the picture.

Understand you will have to divote added time for each new instrument.

Good luck and have fun.
  3. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

I play many, many instruments, because the more instruments you learn, the better you get at your favorite one! You'll learn a lot about sound and music, as opposed to just bass specifically.

And if you ever need to play the electric tuba, or (even worse) the guitar in the studio, etc., you'll know how!
  4. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

The more the merrier. You could have a natural talent for one instrument, but you'll never know unless you try. I play guitar, keyboards, bass and drums (in varying degrees), but when I play with a band, I have a much better idea of what everyone is doing, simply because I have an understanding of their instruments.
  5. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

Not necessarily learning instruments but even studying them can be helpful. Playing in orchestra rehearsals for over 10 years allows you to learn the difficulties of play "said" instrument without having to learn it, gives you an appreciation of how to interact with that particular instrument.

IMO keyboard is great as it teaches you to read music (if you already haven't) and teaches you how to read bass and treble clefs!

Enjoy and learn! It's all good BUT be warned please don;t take up too many instruments, i find it hard practicing 2 instruments properly when you starting practicing multiple hours a day, just a piece of advice.

+1 to MarkMgibson's comment
  6. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

Just slowly start broadening your horizons. You've put a lot of thought into this and I think you're on the right track. It can never hurt to learn a new instrument as it will improve your overall understanding of music. Just focus on the fundamentals and do it right. Stay away from youtube and read some music. Obviously, I am partially talking to myself here, who doesn't think they need to spend more time learning actual theory, technique, and application as opposed to "jamming" or what not?
  7. Sourtulip

Sourtulip

Thanks to you all for your answers, it gave me something to think about.

I chose to buy an electric drum kit and a keyboard. The keyboard has become part of my livingroom so hopefully I will get to use it everyday - at least for 15 minutes is the plan.
    Unfortunatly, I dont have space enough for the drums too so they are being stored like a mile from where im living. Im planning to play them for at least 30 minutes, 3 times a week and just take it from there.

Hopefully, it will take my playing to new and exciting places in the future - and if not, Im sure I will enjoy the ride anyways!