Is it worth the price? // beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaimDaTaim, May 31, 2011.

1. TaimDaTaim

TaimDaTaim

So I'm trying to find my very first bass guitar.

I'm going to play in a thrash-metal band with 3 of my buddies (2 of them play guitar very well, one plays drums poorly yet)

I have read a bit about basses, but I'm going to need Your help with this one.

Is it worth buying a used Schecter Hellraiser 4 for 450 EUR?
    I would get a new bass for around 350-400, but I believe a Schecter is way better than those.

I also would like to know if it's worth buying Hartke 15 Kickback combo 120w for 280 EUR, but I should probably post this to the "Amps" section.
    I'll ask you this instead: Does anyone use Schecter bass and Hartke Kickback amp together and if someone does, then do they go well 2gether?

Thank you!!

2. stflbn

stflbn

What amps will the guitar players be playing through?

In all likelyhood the single 15 combo will not keep up.

3. Metal Bassist

Metal Bassist

for thrash you'd want a couple of 10" or 12" speakers.

4. TaimDaTaim

TaimDaTaim

They won't be playing too loud, maybe 40-80 watts max.

The thing is, I have a quite-so limited budget of around 650-750 euros.
    So I can either get an average bass + average amp, or get one better than the other.
    I really can't make up my mind :/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KingRazor

KingRazor

An 80 watt guitar amp can out-do a 300 watt bass amp easy. You'll want some real power I think.

Luckily, Squier basses are pretty cheap. If you got one of those you could afford a nice amp.

7. TaimDaTaim

TaimDaTaim

Thank you very much for your answers.

Would you rather suggest J or P squier?

and should i get a combo amp or separately?

8. TaimDaTaim

TaimDaTaim

The guy who I'm buying the AMP from, told me he has played with a band and unless the drummer goes berserk, the amp should be able to handle it.

Just found out that one of the guitarists has 15 watt amp tho :D
    He says it makes strong sound tho.

Anyways, at first we are just gonna practice in a garage, nothing big.
    I only need it for our band practice!

Now, what about your thoughts on the Schecter??
    Is it worth it?
    I read that they stopped producing these, but it also costs around 1200 dollars when new...

Please, I would love to hear your thoughts, assuming that the amp will handle it.
    I also don't have "many" used amps/decent basses to choose from in y country, the new ones cost ALOT.

Thanks!

EDIT:

also found a review:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/schecter/hellraiser_4/index.html

9. nocontrols

nocontrols

I agree with everyone who said worry about the amp more than the bass. The bass is a done deal because you can get one of many, many different basses that will suit your purposes for relatively little cash. You need to be concerned with the amp, though, because metal asks for a lot of volume and you are in a band with two guitar players who will slam you if you don't have the power to keep up.

10. TaimDaTaim

TaimDaTaim

I can't express how thankful I am for your expert advice. Everyone's.

Can you please take a look at these amps, which I found on an internet store.
    Please ignore all the foreign language, it's Estonian (that's where Im from)

Ashdown - MAG C210 T-300 EVO II | Transistorvõimendid | Kohvervõimendid | Basskitarride võimendid | Kitarrid ja basskitarrid | Muusikariistad | Pillipood.ee

Ashdown - MAG-C115-300 | Transistorvõimendid | Kohvervõimendid | Basskitarride võimendid | Kitarrid ja basskitarrid | Muusikariistad | Pillipood.ee

BEHRINGER - BX4210A | Transistorvõimendid | Kohvervõimendid | Basskitarride võimendid | Kitarrid ja basskitarrid | Muusikariistad | Pillipood.ee

Is any of them good? Would you suggest any in the price range of not more than 500 EUR.

Also, I can't seem to find any too cheap bass guitars at the moment ( at least new ones, the cheapest is 200 euros, it's a WASHBURN XB75B, looks decent tho)

Actually, the 200 euro Washburn XB75B would fit in the price range.

Also, an ESP for 163 euros http://shop.pillipood.ee/0104040000/0/readmore/115044/

11. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

What sucks is starting out you're going to be tempted to get an underpowered combo amp for cheaper. Very soon after, you're going to realize you need more power, once those 2 guitarists fire up. Honestly, if you're ok hitting the used market, I'd be looking for a used 400-500 watt amp, a used 4x10 speaker cab with undamaged speakers, and then pick up a used Ibanez, Peavey, or Yamaha bass for $100-$200. For your genre, I'd look for something with the big wide soapbar pickups, as opposed to P, J, or PJ.

Used equipment is your best friend if you're on a budget. Quality wise its no worse than brand new stuff off the shelf, as most musicians tend to take care of their instruments BETTER than the yahoos unloading the trucks and stocking the shelves at Guitar Center. More opportunity for an instrument to take damage on its way to the shelf than after it leaves, if you ask me.

12. TaimDaTaim

TaimDaTaim

Im actually ready to do anything you guys tell me at the moment.

I'd too be happy if i'd find a used bass for a decent price, but most of those they're selling here are over 200 eur OR made by the company Vintage (new ones cost around 100-200 euros), which my friend told me is the worst one out there.

Please take a look at those amps and 2 basses i posted in my previous post and suggest.

13. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

+1 good advice

14. Labi

Labi

Vintage basses are not bad at all. I once had a 5 string Musicman copy. Pretty nice for the money.

15. TaimDaTaim

TaimDaTaim

Okay, so, firstly I'm going to choose the amp (and cabinet) and then the guitar :)

I found this cabinet- Hartke - 410XL

for 225 eur (would get it down to 200)
    I'ts 310 eur in our local store, so I'll win around 100 euros from here.
    What do you think?

Sadly, I can't find any used amp heads, maybe am forced to buy a new one? They're expensive as hell :/

16. Labi

Labi

People might throw stones at me for this but I'll take a risk.
    I will honestly suggest you try Behringer. They're loud, they're cheap, and you're a beginner. Perfect match. They're declared way above the actual power they provide, but the 300w combo is quite loud and sounds OK if you don't crank it all the way.

17. TaimDaTaim

TaimDaTaim

Okay, so...
    If I'd buy this BEHRINGER BX4500H - Thomann UK Cyberstore

, I could afford this EPIPHONE THUNDERBIRD IV VSB - Thomann UK Cyberstore

I've only read good about EP TB, besides the neck dive.

Again, what do you think?

So it's:
    Hartke 410 Cabinet ( 4x 10'', 400 w), Behringer 450w amp (as said, risky, but should generate alot of sound (for its price class)) and Epiphone Thunderbird IV
    (What happens if I turn the 450w Amp to the max with a 400w-only cabinet?)
    Transport from Thomann would cost 25 EUR, not too much.
    All together 225+175+215+25 = 640 EUR, which is about exactly my budget.

I must say, I'm quite excited about all this.

Also, can any pedal make the Behringer sound better perhaps?
    (If can, then I would prolly buy it later during the summer)

18. Labi

Labi

Yeah! Rock on dude. Sounds like a good combination for the price.
    As for the pedal, you might want to try Digitech BP50. It has all the effect you may ever need.

19. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames

Hartke Lh500 would be perfect ;-)

20. TaimDaTaim

TaimDaTaim

Yeah, but it also costs about 170 eur more (almost twice as much!) so that would be a deal breaker for me :/

If I'd get a used for around 250, then I'd probably buy it, but I havent met any yet :rollno:
    Do you think I should rather buy the Hartke and a cheaper bass?
    I don't want a Harley Benton really that much, but there is an ESP LTD B-10 (ESP LTD B-10 BLK - Thomann UK Cyberstore) for 133 EUR.
    If I'd do so, it all together would sum up to around 685 EUR, which is a bit over my budget, but I think I could handle it somehow.

OR I should just pay less and get the Behringer and Thunderbird and be happy? :D <- this seems the easiest way to act for me :D (as I would get a good bass and a 450 watt amp for a low price)

Labi, You have owned a Behringer? Could you tell me if it was trustworthy and made a rather decent sound?

Also, what about this little giant here? http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_little_giant_1000.htm

21. Labi

Labi

Yes i have owned a 180W Behringer combo at one point. I bought it when my original amp was stolen and had to replace it with a cheaper one until I could afford a better one. I wasn't expecting a decent sound out of it, but I was pleasantly surprised when I plugged it in. I gigged with it regularly for a year and then i replaced it with a better one. I bet the 450W head sounds better and of course louder and should fulfill your requirements for the time being. Anyway whatever you get now, you will soon need something better and louder, but as a starter amp it should do just fine.