1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is it worth upgrading to a Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KBurkz, Nov 5, 2012.

1. KBurkz

KBurkz

Good afternoon/evening everyone,

About a year ago, I purchased my Ibanez SR706 as I was looking to get a 6 string bass and I happened to get it at a good price. However, I have always wanted a Spector bass, and from what I understand they are highly regarded in the bass community. I was wondering if trying to trade out my Ibanez for a Spector 6er would be worth it. Given my income situation, I would most likely be getting a Legend 6 and if need be adding new pickups and a new tone circuit. I was hoping that someone with some experience with both instruments could provide some sort of insight.

Thanks very much!
    -Korey
  2. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I've been playing the Spector for a few days thinking about a similar move from an SR fiver to the Legend six. I've found that the three Spectors I played have been worlds better. the one thing I noticed was that there's a big difference between the newer maple body legend being far better than the older basswood bodies. Both smoked my ibanez though.
  3. KingRazor

KingRazor

I like the Ibanez Soundgears much better than the Spector Legends. The Euros are another matter.
  4. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

I switched to Spector 18 years ago and never looked back. I'm a Euro player (NS4CR and Alex Webster sig 5-string), and the only new bass that I want is a U.S. model (NS-4 or NS-5XL).
    I have never played a Legend, Performer, or any of the other sub-$1000 models, but the Spector club is full of players that absolutely love them.
    As with anything else, I highly recommend playing one for a bit before buying it. I,for one, would buy a Spector sight-unseen, and I would not do this with any other brand. I know it's difficult to find them, as not a lot of stores carry them. However, if you PM JPSBassist (Patrick Stern), he knows everyone in the Spector community, and can possibly hook you up with someone in your area that has the model (or a similar one) that you're interested in. Best of luck!
  5. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

i agree with kingrazor. except the ibanez part :) just not a fan of ibanez. save up a little more and for a couple $100 more, you can find a great used euro. and be worlds above the legend. the legends are great basses, but the euros are much better.
  6. KBurkz

KBurkz

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! It's much appreciated. And Worldeeeter, I'll definitely take the suggestion on PMing him. Thanks! :)
  7. BGeetr169

BGeetr169 Supporting Member

I have a couple of NS5-Xl's. They are among my favorites. I have one at Pat Wilkins currently getting a custom faded purple finish. I will post some pictures when I receive it. My first Spector was a euro 5 and it was also excellent in sound and quality. Lots of great basses available but can't go wrong with a decent Spector! Good luck!
  8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Both are very good basses.

I own a Spector Euro Rebop and a Spector 4LX. I hardly play them. I don't like the neck on the Euro very much and the active circuit in the 4LX is so hot that it always sounds like its "farting" through whatever amp I use. Some of the 4 LX basses have an adjustment in the circuit but mine does not. I prefer my MIA Fenders and Alembics.

Another thing to consider is that Spectors are very nice basses but they also do not hold their value the way some other basses do. For example, A Euro 4 LX lists for $2,999 and sells new for $1,999 but I have seen them used for as low as $800 which was I paid for mine.

It's a tough decision but I don't think you can go wrong either way.
  9. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

sounds you like you have a nontrim tonepump in your rebop. you can either lower the p/u as low as they go or get a new tonepump with the adjustable trim and trash that old tonepump. hope that helps :)
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Interesting views coming from a Spector endorser :eyebrow:

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

A used Euro can be found under $1000. They seem to be great basses. In my limited experience, the Euros are more pro (USA) quality than a Legend will ever be. Of course, a Legend is cheaper.

Having said that, one of the best new 6 string basses in the $1000 range I have ever played is the new Ibanez SR1206. Killer and can be found new for $1199-1249. May be $400 more than a new SR705, but IMO, much better bass.http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-SR1206E-LIST

Personally,I would save for a used Euro or buy the SR1206. Both are amazing basses.
  12. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

I'd take the Spector over the Ibanez. The Legends are amazing. The Euros and Rebops even better. Much more personality than Ibanez's IMHO.
  13. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Save up a tad more and buy a Euro or ReBop. However you wanting a 6 will make that a little more difficult.

I played an original run Legend 5 for about 2 years and it was great stock. Upgrading the pre and possibly the pickups would make a big difference.
  14. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Different Strokes for different folks... I have a multitude of Fenders and some very nice Alembics and Spectors. Of the bunch the Spectors get as much or more play time than the others. I have a Euro 4LX and a Rex5 Spector TBird. These things just flat out sing (and loud) on my SVT-VR/Berg610 rig, I have to remember to knock the vol way down on my amp when I use the Spectors (mine don't have the trimpot tonepump). If you buy, try to buy used if possible. Visit the Spector club on TB for advice on various models and maybe even a lead on a good used one in your area.
  15. awilkie84

awilkie84

Find a used Rebop online. Either on TB or even MF.
    You will not be disappointed, and they can be had on the cheap!
  16. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Not to hi-jack this thread. But whats the word on a Performer for a budget bass? Best passive budget bass on the market? I am very intrigued by the Performer and Spector in general.
  17. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

SPECTOR=corvette Ibanez =chevette
  18. awilkie84

awilkie84

There are better entry-level basses than the Performer for the money.

If I had to choose between a Performer, a SUB & a Squier VM or CV, I'd go with the Squier. SUB second & Performer 3rd.

Now, if you're talking mid-level basses, the Legend Series would definitely be top with the SBMM Ray34/35 second and the MIM Fenders 3rd.
  19. Zoa

Zoa

IME Spector's gonna be a significant upgrade over the Ibby.
  20. millsbass5

millsbass5

That's what I was thinkin' :confused:.