1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is it wrong to like a squishy compressed tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sincity, Feb 18, 2014.

1. sincity

sincity

I tend to like an over-compressed tone on some tunes. Is this wrong to think this way?? :smug:

I know many like a transparent compressor, where the overall signal is not altered too much but evened out.

I like Bill Wyman's tone on a lot of the 70's tunes and it sounds, to me, overly compressed, in a good way.

That being said, can anyone suggest a compressor pedal that "does" alter (squish) their bass signal if desired?

2. Major Softie

Major Softie

There is no tone that is it "wrong" to like.

That said, there are tones that are unpopular enough that it might make you unpopular.

Any compressor with a rate that goes to infinity and an adjustable threshold will do what you want. In fact, you don't actually require the flexibility of a "compressor," as a "limiter" will do what you describe.

3. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    A severely squashed tone is the defacto standard that you hear on rock/pop recordings these days (and even often on jazz), and has been since the 80's at least. Not *always* but way more than you'd think. I would guess on the older stuff you are hearing pumping more than severe squashing. That is enhanced or minimized by attack, release, threshold, and ratio settings on the comp. One of the classic bass tones is using a Urei 1176 compressor/limiter with all 4 ratio buttons pressed in.

4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I like my Wampler Ego Compressor for "squish".

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are a lot of options out there; the first one (several) that popped into my head was the Pigtronix Philosopher line.

8. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

This is captured nicely by the Distressor EL8 with the "British" modification. I love squishy, old school sounding basses, provided you have the gear that makes them usable in context, which not every compressor can do well.

9. sincity

sincity

The Wampler sounds impressive based on the reviews. I also play guitar. Hmmm!

10. sincity

sincity

Impressive, but a pedal comp is more up my alley.

11. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Thanks to BonogoMania I'm a MXR guy and moved away from the DBX.

Its a little squishy and I like it...but I use it lightest setting 4:1.

PS: Bongo has done a lot of work that has helped a lot of people. It does not hurt to his donation page...He helped me.

12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Nope, nothing wrong with it at all - in fact, I just wrote a new funky bass groove that demands a heavy Boss CS-3 squish.

13. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

I love squishshshs!

Actually groovin with stacatto lines and a Vox Snake Charmer on a stupidly-high setting with a looong attack... it's like having your own kick drum!