1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is John Deacon the most forgotten about bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Broadstbully22, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Discuss amongst yourselfs. I personally have always been amazed by him and Queen. But it just seems to me like he is forgotten about when the discussions come up.
  2. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

John was not a flashy 90 notes per second sort of guy. However, his style was perfect for what he did, much like John McVie of Fleetwood Mac or Greg Lake.
    Although his signature piece will probably always be "Another One Bites The Dust" , his playing on "We Are The Champions" and the CD "Innuendo" are brilliant for their phrasing.
    Forgotten? Not to us who appreciate solid bass playing.
  3. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

4. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

John is a great Bass player....he's not forgotten....he's just retired now....
  5. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

The most? Umm . . . I think I've got him beat, personally.

Good bassist, good fit for Queen, played several hummable bass lines. "Dragon Attack" isn't a technical tour de force, but it's a classic nonetheless.
  6. 20db pad

20db pad

No. Mario Cippolina is.
  7. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

John Deacon was(is?) a monster player. His phrasing and groove are incredible. Of course he had his funky lines like in Another One Bites the Dust, but on the more complex songs like Bohemian Rhapsody he approached his parts in an almost orchestral fashion. Then in a song like You're My Best Friend, he lays down a bunch of groovy Jamerson-esque runs. Dude is seriously one of the all-time most underrated bassists.
  8. rtav

rtav

John had a great ear for melody. His bass playing really starts to shine after Queen's first two albums, where he really starts developing his own super melodic bass lines (although the bass fill in the intro to "Someday One Day" [Queen II, side white] is very tasty). The basslines on his song "Misfire" (Sheer Heart Attack) are great, and he does some very nice stuff on "Killer Queen" as well, but his best playing really begins on "A Night At the Opera," not coincidentally, with his songwriting. The best songwriters naturally write the best basslines (I think of McCartney and Deacon as tremendous examples). It is easy to overlook Deacon as he was the "quiet" member, but then it would be easy to overlook a nuclear detonation next to Freddie Mercury, lol, but his bass playing and songwriting - "Misfire," "You're My Best Friend," "And You and I," "Who Needs You?," "In Only Seven Days," etc. - is stellar.
  9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

This.
  10. Basshappi

Basshappi

Deacon is one of the great rock bassplayers. He is not forgotten among his peers.
  11. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

A solid, straightforward player with consistently sublime lines. Lowish profile, even during the Queen days? (largely before my time) . Forgotten about? Nope.

[​IMG]

The guy's a legend. Much admiration and respect.
  12. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

13. remainthesame

remainthesame

I like him personally. Seaside Rendezvous is a fun song to play.
  14. electracoyote

electracoyote

Not forgotten by me. I cut my teeth (and bass chops) on the first six Queen albums.

Just learned the spot-on faithful bass line for "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" for a new band. Love playing John's lines. He is not just a bassist, he is a multi-talented composer.
  15. preside

preside

Yea kind of like the guy who played with Elton John circa Yellow Brick road.. What was his name?
  16. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

I'm no scholar of Queen, but whenever I hear them I hear bass that is tasty and great for the song - line, time and tone always right where they should be. He's actually someone I should learn more about.
  17. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Dee Murray - same dealie!
  18. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Love him to death but Freddie was Queen period and everyone was in his shadow.
  19. wideload

wideload

And fortunately, Dee Murray played for an equally subdued bandleader! Two of my favorite bassists right there.
  20. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Yeah.
    I never knew his name, but I know his playing. His basslines are amongst the best out there.
    Funny he never gets a lot of recognition...