1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is knowing how to play Rhythm guitar a prerequisite for playing bass guitar?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Innadi, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Innadi

Innadi

I've been playing bass since one year. I recently came across a guy who told me that it was necessary to be able to play Rhythm guitar before moving on to bass. Is he right?

2. ITucker_034I

ITucker_034I

3. ITucker_034I

ITucker_034I

But id guess a rhythm guitarist would likely be better at bass than a lead guitarist. :)

4. Steveman

Steveman

There is no pre-requisite for anything. Will learning rhythm guitar help? Sure! Necessary? No.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. onosson

onosson

Good rhythm guitar playing is a highly neglected art.

7. elgecko

elgecko

8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

It's as necessary as dry-humping is for **********.

9. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

I first touched a string instrument as a 13 year old. I took classical guitar lessons for three years and that has done more for me as a bass player through the decades than anything else I learned on guitar. I play rhythm and some lead on my recordings and the way I view it is that all of the sounds live in different areas of the song.

Let's also think of what exactly is rhythm guitar? Bob Weir? Tom Petty? David Rhodes (Peter Gabriel's band), Prince, Jimmy Nolen - all of these players are worlds apart IMO and masters at what they do. If I had to learn to play like each of them I'd have no time to play bass ;)

So the short answer is no :D

10. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Can you play your bass pretty well? Then You have your answer. I didn't learn Guitar until after 20 years of playing, gigging and teaching Bass. To me 6 string guitar is pretty simple to learn but can take a lifetime to master. Same with Bass.

11. stratovani

stratovani

Being good at rhythm guitar isn't a prerequisite by any means, but it sure doesn't hurt!

12. ZenG

ZenG

13. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Are you trying to get a rise out of me ?

14. mambo4

mambo4

guitar? no.
    Rhythm? yes.

15. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

What no one ever talks about is the internal metronome rhythm guitarists develop. That plus having played with other people, in a band situation, helps when we come over to the bass.

Can you be successful on the bass with out that experience. Of course, just takes you a little longer.

16. mcnach

mcnach

Not at all. What a strange idea.

17. pfox14

pfox14

He's full of kaka. Wouldn't be the first or last guitar player that thought he knew everything.

18. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

It's his opinion and I think it has merit. I was a rhythm guitarist for many years before switching to bass. I played both for a while, but bass just felt better. I still play guitar and just bought a new acoustic (Epiphone DR500 MCE, awesome guitar IMHO). Anyway, I don't always have a great ear, but I can easily identify the chords the guitarist is playing. I believe it helps my timing as well, not to mention that it's useful to play songs from all perspectives. It is necessary? No, but anytime you stretch as a musician, it's beneficial.

19. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Isn't guitar and bass guitar pretty much the same thing? I mean music theory wise? Maybe he just meant that if you learn guitar you are also learning bass guitar and with with a little bit of musical common sense you can go the other way around too.

20. Lownote38

Lownote38

No! Not at all. I play guitar (not because I think I should, but wanted to learn how), and if I am playing something the guitar player knows and I don't (on bass), I can look at his hand and know what chord he's playing. That's the only advantage I can think of. Bass is a different instrument than guitar entirely and most guitar players who try to play bass play it too hard (which creates a lot of needless fret noise among other things).

21. Lownote38

Lownote38

What if you play a 5 string bass. Then it's not like a guitar at all.