1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is mixing an 4 ohm 2x10'' bass and 8 ohm 4x10" dangerous or acceptable?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fullmetalmaster, Jan 27, 2014.

1. fullmetalmaster

fullmetalmaster

Hello everyone, I have a 280 watts (4 ohms) Gallien-Krueger 400RB-IV bass head paired with a 200watt (8 ohms) Hartke Transporter bass cabinet.

I bought this bass cabinet at a local music shop and they told me that it could handle my GK's power. Little did I know that after buying the cabinet, it was a 8 ohms cabinet than the 4 ohms cab I was hoping to buy.

Would adding a 2x10'' 400watts (4ohms) extension bass cab with my Hartke 4x10'' cab be a good idea at all? Thanks.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

NO. You can NOT use an 8 ohm cab AND a 4 ohm cab with that amp. Two 8 ohm cabs is fine or just one 4 ohm cab.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Since the 400RB will only handle 4 ohms and 8 + 4 < 4... the answer is no. You will fry the head.
  4. fullmetalmaster

fullmetalmaster

OK thank you for that information seam and B-string. Im new learner about amplifiers and cabinets.

For sum odd reason thoughwhen I cranked the volume on my 280w GK amp head to maximum, my 200w (8 ohms) Harkte cab it made a nasty farting sound. Why could that be?
  5. B-string

The rating on the Hartke is the max power rating, but not at low bass frequencies. You may have run into the excursion limit of the cab (usually well under the max power rating).
  6. fullmetalmaster

fullmetalmaster

Ok. Even though it would run into its excursion limit, would it be better if I could have two 8 ohm cabinets together with my GK amp head?
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Longer answer is most amps put out far more than rated power when you really lay into a low note. Add to B-string's answer, makes fart out.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

2x 8ohm 2x10 makes a lot more noise than one, more safely, and you can stack them vertically for much better monitoring and room dispersion.
  9. fullmetalmaster

fullmetalmaster

Hmmm... well considering I have one 8 ohms 4x10 already, would an additional 8 ohm 2x10" or 4x10" sound better or louder?
  10. B-string

Yes two cabs will double the amount of power the cabs will take before they "fart out" (reach excursion limit). See below.
    If you already have the 8 ohm 410 and 8 ohm 210, run them you'll need less amp power to get the volume you need.

11. fullmetalmaster

fullmetalmaster

Interesting enough though I'm having this problem with my 4 string bass, tuned Standard EADG.
  12. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Two 8 ohm cabs will give you a load of 4 ohms and you will get full power from your head. You´ll also double your speaker area, which will give you more volume. Try also backing of on the low end of your eq, that might help with the one cab you have now.
  13. fullmetalmaster

fullmetalmaster

Alright. Thank you for your feedback. I almost bought a used 2x10" 4 ohms cab to pair with my 8 ohms cab which would have fried my amp.

I'll consider using 2x 8 ohm cabinets instead.
  14. fullmetalmaster

fullmetalmaster

Ended up buying a KK Audio 1x 15" (8 ohm) bass cabinet with an Genuine Eminence speaker inside it. It sounds great now that I have a lot more low end. That 1x15" cabinet is on the bottom.

[​IMG]
  15. Sartori

Sartori

I would avoid 4 ohm 2x10 cabs anyway. Not a whole lot of room to expand if one isn't enough.

The best thing to do would probably be to get another 4x10 cab identical to the one you already have.
  16. fullmetalmaster

fullmetalmaster

I figured out the problem. This time I put all my pedals in the effects loop and turned my EQ on the amp all the way down. Then I used my EQ on my bass DI+ for tone ONLY. It looks like before, I was definitely cranking the frequencies too high when combining both Equalizers. Now I am not dealing with any annoying hiss noises like before too. It sounds loud and very clear, punchy and deep in tone.
  17. fullmetalmaster

fullmetalmaster

Sartori, I already got a 1x15" (8 ohm) cabinet to match with my other cabinet, I love the low end it gives. But thanks for your suggestion. It's in the picture I posted just recently above. It's below the 4x10" cab.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes. But they could still fart out.