1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is my amp busted??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I changed the batteries in my Ibby today, and knowing the active preamp would cause distortion in my 25-watt Ampeg, I set the volume around 7, and the bass/mids/treble at 1. The tone was really muddy and distorted no matter what I did with my tone controls(it was so muddy that I couldn't really hear it if I turned the volume down). Every note I played produced a loud popping sound from the amplifier.
    When I finally cranked the treble all the way up, all I got was harsh, blaring feedback.
    I turned my amp off, turned it back on, and heard what sounded like a radio broadcast.:confused:
    I turned it of and back on again; all I heard when I played was a muffled, sub-bass growl.

Has anyone encountered this before??

Thanks,

Bassdude15
  2. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Did it do this before you changed the battery? Are you sure the new battery is good?
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

May I suggest that you try another BRAND NEW set of batteries in your bass. I have experienced problems with a pair of 9V batteries that just made my bass sound off.
  4. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Yes the batteries were fine
  5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

So plug something else into the amp and see if you get the same thing.

Or try the bass in another amp.
  6. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Tried it in a small orange guitar amp. It was slightly overdriven but otherwise fine