1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is my Black Widow blown? Are these tell tale symptoms...?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

So ive gone to my near wits end with my used rig. Carvin amp works. Its been run on another cab and plays fine. Clip and compression lights blink when playing. But on my cab its a no go.

I took the speaker apart. The voice coil was a little nasty looking like yellowed glue. Had a small brown line on it. Maybe a burn? A black blotch down near a solder connection and some seeping glue through the coil wires.

Looks a little rough but I get no scraping sounds, its not seized, the speaker isnt torn...

But I get no sound. If the rig sits over night and I power up I may get a second of audio. Mostly like a loud pop and then it goes silent. The best ive gotten from it was tapping on the cab and getting about 30 seconds of very low muffled audio. Its mostly silent and if anything I get a second or 2 burst of the loud pop.

Are these symptoms of a blown speaker? Should I look into the BW basket/cone replacement? Its a 1502 8 ohm. What would be the best place to get the replacment?

2. David Jayne

David Jayne

Battery test? Touch a 9v battery to the speaker terminals. Anything?

3. bobcruz

bobcruz

The cone should pop outward when you touch a 9V battery to the terminals (+ terminal to + terminal, negative to negative). You can do the same test with a 1/4-inch speaker cable plugged into the cab and touch the 9V battery to the exposed plug, positive terminal to tip and negative terminal to sleeve. Another good check is to get a cheap digital multimeter and check the ohms of your woofer. An 8 ohm driver should show about 6 ohms DC resistance. Good luck, Bob

4. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I did the battery test and got nothing. Is the speaker toast?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Yes. The voice coil has likely gone open. There may be a speaker repair/reconing service in your area.

Alternatively, there are on-line repair sites, but naturally they require 2-way shipping,, at your cost, so sometimes repair & shipping can be more expensive than simply replacing the driver.

7. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

With the BW I can simply replace the basket/cone/coil and bolt it to the original magnet?

8. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

About $100 US. It's probably cheaper to replace the speaker.

10. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I found a place online that sells them for around $80.

The original is a 1502 8 ohm. I know going with any Peavey BW replacement basket will work. Just kind of on the fence whether I should go with something like the 1505 4 ohm as a slight upgrade since im already having to do it and it would cost the same.

My amp is rated 225 @ 8 ohm and 350 @ 4 ohm. That would be a pretty good step up.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Well, I'll tell you right now this amp will not run at 2 ohms for long. Specs say it will, but trust me, it won't. So, if you get a 4 ohm cab you will not be able to add a matching cab at some point. Which eventually you will want to. Watts are all good and fine, but you will get more volume adding speakers than you will power. So looking to the future you may want to keep your cab 8 ohm so you can add another cab later.

Just a thought.

12. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Thanks Floyd. I used the #2 speaker bi amp jack to replace the bad #1. If I wanted to add another cab later would I be able to do it without bi amping?