1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is my Eden 212XST considered an effcient cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sandwich5027, Mar 5, 2014.

1. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

I love tube amp sound so I picked up Ampeg V4BH. My cab is 212 xst Eden rated at 600w 4 ohms, so they say......When people say you need efficient cab with V4BH, is Eden that? I love Eden cabs and I have no plans on getting another, am I ok with this set up?

2. gbass1

gbass1

Eden xst cabs are great cabs. look up how many watts your head is putting out at 4ohms and that will give you a better idea if the head and cab are a match. I don't think that head being all tube is going to be any problem for that cab. Come to think of it im sure of it.

3. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

Its 100w amp...I know people don't use tube heads with edens often but why? I.guess that eden is hi fi...but what does that mean? I thought an awesome tube amp with quality speakers would be win win combo no?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It is. If you really like the sound of your Eden cab, that's all that matters. I think people don't use Eden cabs with tube amps because Eden only has one tube amp and it's kind of a cheapo. They had another one years ago that was pretty good or so I'm told, but it never caught on.

And Eden cabs are not what I consider hi-fi. I consider good PA cabs hi-fi, but not so much standard bass cabs. But that's OK. If it works, it works.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

As long as this tube amp sounds like a tube amp ill be happy....I dont want cab to take away from Ampeg sound...I know its not 8x10 but you know what I mean

7. johnpbass

johnpbass

I'd say it's an efficient cab and also an excellent sounding cab. The 212XLT was the favorite cab of many Eden users. It makes a lot of sense though that they changed the designation from XLT to XST because the 212XLT didn't have as much of that low mid hump that the other XLT cabs had. Adding a 210XST under a 212 makes for a killer cab setup, btw!:D

8. Pajama_Bottoms

Pajama_Bottoms

It specs out at 103dB SPL@1W1M, which is pretty high efficiency for a 212. Greater sensitivity than an Ampeg 8x10 (100db), though of course you start getting in differences in frequency response, etc...

9. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

So how different are the Edens voiced compared to 8x10 ampeg?

10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Eden has a history for puffing their specs. I wouldnt trust anything they publish unless it lines up with something a third party publishes.

The ampeg is a sealed cab. So it has a high roll off and tight lows, with a good low mid push. Very signature sound, that works for a lot of people.

11. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

I'm sure Ampeg does same crap....they all do from what I've been reading lately.

12. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

The reason I went with 2004 V4BH, was because the new V4B is made in China, not cool.

And Eden is very nice sounding cab and made here too....(Which i'll take all day over Chinese junk)

13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Most do. So go play it, and if it is loud enough, and sounds good, then it is good.

Dont kid yourslef for a minute. "made in XXX" is a joke. Where do all the parts come from? In terms of Ampeg, their line of cabs made overseas actually sounds better than the "dark years" cabs.

14. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

Well shame on all these companies....Don't bother putting "made in USA then"....That pisses me off....what a joke....

15. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

Well if that is true, is there an all American Co. that makes high quality Tube amps and cabs?

Cause if so I will have Ampeg and Eden up for sale and never purchase their products again....

16. edencab

edencab

Traynor is a Made in Canada company that makes just killer stuff....tubed, SS, Cabs, micro heads, combos...

17. johnpbass

johnpbass

IIRC, the Eden specs are usually +- 3db - for what that's worth.
    Having said that, my experience with the Eden XLT cabs is that they are LOUD - especially the 410XLT. The voicing of the cabs has a lot to do with the perceived volume though, IMO.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They really don't. The worst they've done is starting to use thermal power handling ratings for their newer cabs. But their old ones are still rated for real world power handling. Plus they're one of the few companies that give you the -3db and -10db point of their cabs, and they usually use the -3db point in their advertising while most companies use the -10db point.

19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

My Eden 2x10 XST specs at 104 SPL. That is very efficient
    compared to my Acme 2x10 with 93 SPL.
    You have an efficient cab for sure.

20. edencab

edencab

I have an older Eden D115.....fantabulous tone, tons o' volume,etc etc with a 200W Traynor head......if I add a 2nd cab Ka-BLAMMO!!!!!!!

21. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Mesa/Boogie
    Reeves