1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Is My EMG P Bass Pickup Active or Passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ampig, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Just bought a used EMG P pickup. The seller said it was passive. I have my doubts. On the back of one pickup coil is a label that says "IG". EMG is printed on the covers. The back sides are filled with black epoxy. The output wires are a single unshieled red and a larger shielded white. The same larger unshielded white wire connects the two pick coils.

2. Mtnman

Mtnman

Jun 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Does the bass have a battery?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. No. It's a stock P. I bought the pickup to install as an upgrade.

5. I'm pretty sure it's active. Sounds like from the description that it's a older one before the quick connectors. The red wire is the positive for the power supply. Check the emg website for wiring instructions. Prob have to change the pots to 25 k too, Check for info on the web.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Red wire is for the battery, so it's active.

7. Thanks for the confirmation guys
    If I decide to install this "active" pickup, do I need to disconnect the bridge ground wire?

8. Emg's don't require a ground wire to the bridge , not sure what would happen if you leave it connected.

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You're going to want 25k pots rather than the stock 250k that come in your bass.

10. 25K on both the volume and treble pots? Can I still use the stock capacitor?
    Anybody got some 25K pots?

11. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Yep all std Emg's are active and you will want 25k pots. Not sure about the cap as I don't use one. Look on the bay for Emg pots someone is always selling the ones they come with. If not you can solder a resistor in and make your 250k's 25k if your handy.