1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is My EMG P Bass Pickup Active or Passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ampig, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Just bought a used EMG P pickup. The seller said it was passive. I have my doubts. On the back of one pickup coil is a label that says "IG". EMG is printed on the covers. The back sides are filled with black epoxy. The output wires are a single unshieled red and a larger shielded white. The same larger unshielded white wire connects the two pick coils.
  2. Mtnman

Mtnman

Does the bass have a battery?
  3. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

No. It's a stock P. I bought the pickup to install as an upgrade.
  4. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure it's active. Sounds like from the description that it's a older one before the quick connectors. The red wire is the positive for the power supply. Check the emg website for wiring instructions. Prob have to change the pots to 25 k too, Check for info on the web.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Red wire is for the battery, so it's active.
  6. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Thanks for the confirmation guys
    If I decide to install this "active" pickup, do I need to disconnect the bridge ground wire?
  7. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

Emg's don't require a ground wire to the bridge , not sure what would happen if you leave it connected.
  8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You're going to want 25k pots rather than the stock 250k that come in your bass.
  9. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

25K on both the volume and treble pots? Can I still use the stock capacitor?
    Anybody got some 25K pots?
  10. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Yep all std Emg's are active and you will want 25k pots. Not sure about the cap as I don't use one. Look on the bay for Emg pots someone is always selling the ones they come with. If not you can solder a resistor in and make your 250k's 25k if your handy.