Is my Kay worth saving?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Smitty71, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Smitty71

Smitty71

I bought my Kay in 1962 from our bass player who was shipping out from Guam Island. He taught me where to hold the major chords and I played some every night we played till he left for the states. I got better and played with several bands around Miami while stationed at homestead AFB. I've not played for years but noticed the neck separating from the body, tailpiece won't work, delamanating at bottom edge and just generally scratched up. I've played some newer ones but hated the necks. Mine had such a small neck it was almost like playing a guitar. I always used gut strings and back then could buy a set for $18. I was just wondering if it would be worth a total repair when I probably would just sell it. My son has it and put metal strings on it. Could that be what pulled the neck loose. It's not off but it is separating.

2. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Neck resets aren't too expensive and fixing delamination isn't hard as long as the separation doesn't go too far in from the edge of the plate. I'd say it's worth saving.

4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

Smitty:

Old Kays are a lot like old Volkswagons. You would be amazed how far back from the dead the right person can bring one back to life. Post a few photos for us.

Private message sent.

j.
    www.kaybassrepair.com
    www.condino.com

5. Register to disable this ad