1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is my preamp bad?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NelsonNelson, Nov 14, 2012.

1. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

I have a Carvin 12 year old bass and it has the lowest output ever, almost whisper quiet. Volume doesn't effect the difference either on the bass or anything. YES I have trouble shot the cable and amp with my other bass. It's this Carvin. I think the preamp is shot.

Any help?
  2. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

edited. No one has any experience with this?
  3. winegamd

winegamd

Is the battery good?
  4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

What output do you have in passive mode? Any difference when you pan from one pickup to the other? Have you double checked the jack input? It could be as simple as a dirty volume pot.
  5. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sorry been slammed. Replaced battery works now. Weird because I've never had a battery malfunction to where the bass was doing that.

Now I still have the 60 cycle hum with the mids...that goes away when I touch the strings. I didn't mess with the wiring just replaced wire for wire the jack as it was going bad. So do I just need to junk this preamp and get a new one?
  6. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

7. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

I have a 60 cycle hum in the mids...need help.