Is One Ever Enough.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BCB50, Dec 27, 2013.

1. BCB50

BCB50

I lost all my gear do to finances 10 years ago. Yamaha BB1600, American Tele, Martin D-15 Custom, my old Fender Bassman 60, Squier Strat, Fender Ultimate Chorus, Peavey cab, Yorkville bass head. It was one of those make you sick, but no choice deals.:crying:

Anywho, I was lucky enough to find a sweet deal on a 75 Fender Jazz and paid for it on the 13th. Picked up a Orange 50BXT to play it through. I figured good enough for the apartment where I live. A fresh set of flats and back to trying to get the fingers doing what the brain remembers.:bassist:

Am I happy? Yes, but can't figure out why I have this sudden need to start looking for another bass. It started right after I sat for about an hour playing the Jazz. I love this bass but now my brain is in overdrive wanting wanting wanting. I am thinking ebaying a Precision loaded body and throwing a jazz neck on it. A round wound rig.

Just wondered if anyone else has the same issue. One will do, but two would be better.
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Do I have the same issue? Nope. Most people on this forum have "GAS" though nearly constantly. I just like playing what I have (though, I do have more than 1 bass ;))and getting better with that than gear hopping.
  3. BCB50

BCB50

Around here the problem would be "HAS". Just replace Guitar with Harley.

I think I'm going to take a ride to the city and pick up a set La Bella's. Had a set of XL rounds on. Just a little to much high end. Then put on a set of DR Legend flats. Close but not quite. Took care of the high end, but kind of lifeless.

So try again for a happy medium. Life on the low end.
  4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I have 6 nice basses with two more custom builds coming. After that I'l be done with my Axes. Looking to add a LoPhat 2x12 then all my gear needs will be done.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

One isn't enough. Everyone needs a backup. After that, it's GAS...
  7. BCB50

BCB50

Kinda what I've been telling the wife about the bikes.lol

She told me to get another bass after the first, just not another 1500 for one. So I figure piece one together so I have one I can live with, and still keep the peace around here.
  8. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I only have one wife and one son. That's about all I only want one of. Everything else seems to require multiples.
  9. BCB50

BCB50

Well I drove 2 hours to Guitar Center and managed to leave with a set of strings and a new stand. Did look at a possible 2nd in March when I get my bonus. So headed home.
  10. BCB50

BCB50

I think my wife would be happy if my multiples were basses and not Harleys.lol think i got the bike itch scratched though.
  11. bassbenj

bassbenj

As one of the head GASers around here far be it for me to give GAS advice (Example bought THREE SX sixer jazz basses to have them fretless, rounds, and flats... I can see you thinking that way already!).

But the rule is supposed to be GAS is supposed to set in once there's some new thing that you'd like to know more about. Can be ANYTHING. fretless, more strings, less strings, rounds, flats, half rounds, hollowbody, in short the limitiess variety of bass! I've found that if you really want to KNOW about these things the only way is to buy one and live with it for a while. After that you know for sure if that is YOU, what exactly it is about it, and if it's useful for the music you do.

However, ahem, the rule is supposed to be that you get your fingers doing what your brain is thinking on your CURRENT project BEFORE you start GASing for the next one... :meh:

Oh yeah. TB rule: You can never own too many basses.
    (Works for Harleys too) :)
  12. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Q: How many basses does a person need?

A: Just one more.
  13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Another rule: No Pics…No Bass ;)

Welcome, friend! Enjoy your time here!!
  14. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I went from 1979 to 1998 with one bass. A '79 Music Man Sabre. It can be done if you want to go that route. Of course, now I have more than one (6), but if push came to shove, I could get along just fine with either of my 2 5-string basses as my only bass.
  15. SteveC

SteveC

If I could afford more I'd have more, but right now, my one Roscoe has to be enough.
  16. Grissle

Grissle

Also depends on how many different types of music you want to cover. I have a P with flats for old school stuff, a fretless jazz with tapes ballady stuff, my Jag with SS strings covers any J sounds I need, a Fenderbird tuned BEAD for metal and a Spector tuned BEAD for Gospel/Worship. I do also have a Squire PJ bass with rounds as sort of an all around backup to my other basses, but been thinking about a Jack Cassidy for that role in the future.
    But if your gigging I do recommend at least a backup. And IMHO I think most people should have at least one P bass.
  17. Davo-London

Davo-London

One, or two if you play fretless. That's it and a J or P equivalent is all you need.

Davo
  18. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

You need 4
    Ricky 4003
    Thunderbird
    Musicman
    P-bass
    and a couple of USA Peaveys
  19. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

+1
  20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll settle for three; a fretted five jazz, a fretless five jazz and an (electric) upright.
    I have a couple more basses but those three would be sufficient for what I play.

Of course there is constant GAS for more, but I try to keep it in check.
    My latest bass purchase was in 2005 I believe.
  21. BCB50

BCB50

[​IMG]

I don't mind showing off my new one. Picked up a set up d' addario LT flats yesterday and pulled the DRs off. All I can say is Wow. All kinds of bottom end showed up.:)