1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is slap bass annoying to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mr_goodbomb, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_goodbomb

mr_goodbomb

I don't want to start an argue, and I'm not trolling, it's just something I notice when looking at bass reviews on YouTube. A lot of videos "demoing" instruments are playing slap bass, and it really doesn't tell me much about the way the instrument itself sounds. It's like someone playing guitar who only plays leads and solos to try the instrument out.

Personally, I don't think slap bass has a lot of practical uses in many genres. There's absolutely funk, R&B, some pop music, and of course everyone will point fingers to Flea and, say, weirdness like Primus... but as far as rock bands go, the players who play slap bass and are known for it are known for it BECAUSE it's original and unique. If every band in that genre had the same style of bass playing, it would suck. It's unique because it's good AND uncommon.

I dunno, as I said, I'm not trying to troll or pick any fights, but when it comes to playing bass, it's something I think about fairly often. It's like guitarists who only ever want to play complicated leads or solos. Sure, there are a few genres of music that it's good for, but I'd prefer to play good MUSIC than to be limited to a few styles of music and one specific sound because I want to play stuff that makes ME, as an individual player, not the entire band, sound cool.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?
  2. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

3. Muaguana

Muaguana

I like slap when it's used tastefully and complements the music, just like tapping or any other technique. When it's over-used, or when it seems that the bass player is slapping simply because he can (OOOH, LOOK AT ME SLAP YO!) then it gets annoying. I think a lot of younger bass players are in the mindset that slap = good bass player, so that's all they focus on. I even had a bass player on Youtube tell me I had to learn to slap to be considered a good bass player. Though that wasn't nearly as obnoxious as hearing people in GC play "Higher Ground" by RHCP and call it funk.

Let's get this straight: Slap =/ funk, and Higher Ground =/ funk.
  4. dmusic148

dmusic148

5. phillipkregg

phillipkregg

Anything done poorly is annoying. :)
  6. Slaine01

Slaine01

Its only annoying if you can't do it.........

....sits back and waits......:bag: :D
  7. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

I find it annoying because I can't do it. Like masturbating on a bus - it'd be great if I could... but I can't.
  8. Jonyak

Jonyak

I find people who only do it to show off annoying.

I find people who think because I don't slap all the time I am a lesser bass player annoying.

do I find slap bass annoying... no.
  9. LarkinLondon

LarkinLondon

10. jwr

jwr Supporting Member

I personally like it and want to improve my skills at slap bass. I don't find it easier or harder than anything else with the bass though.
  11. MisterV619

MisterV619

Only annoying if you have slap envy
  12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  13. WJGreer

WJGreer

Any style of music played poorly is unappealing to me.

Any style of music played well is appealing to me.

The preponderance of slap YouTube videos contain terrible playing, therefore I don't like them. It has little to do with the slap.
  14. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

It's only annoying because it's been overdone.

If you've ever been to YouTube or Guitar Center you know this is true :)
  15. plangentmusic

plangentmusic

This is the thing...

Slapping is of an era. It is rarely heard in modern music, so if you do it, you better do it in a way where it doesn't scream 1989!!!

And using it in genres that are before slapping ever occured is just dumb.

HAVING SAID THAT...

It's a technique unique to the bass and perfect for soloing, PLUS, it's a good way to get a feel for a bass.

So there.
  16. waleross

waleross

The first song I ever slapped on was "Just the two of Us" way back then early 1980's it wasn't done as often as it is today. Its a cool effect and breaks up the sound when done right. None of my current basses are set up for it but I can get out a few slaps if needed. I can see being annoyed when its used like a one trick poney. By the way +1 on the TROLL SPRAY....:cool:
  17. xmaddogx

xmaddogx

THAT is hilarious! :D
  18. WJGreer

WJGreer

People always say this, and I disagree. It's rarely heard in some genres of music where it used to be heard more, but still prevalent in others. TV and radio jingles are full of it, as is smooth jazz (which has a very large audience, I know what you are thinking...), among others.

I will say that a fault of slapping all along, at least typically, has been that it de-emphasizes creative or tasty note choices - which can make it sound tired. But that just goes back to my first comment about whether or not it's played well.
  19. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Disclosures:
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system
  20. guitfiddle0409

guitfiddle0409 Supporting Member

So far this is the most authoritative and intelligent post on this thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.