Is SWR gone?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 456string, Jan 10, 2014.

1. 456string

456string

Planning to add an Amplite to my Headlite.

Can't find a new Amplite nowhere, don't like to buy used stuff.

Went on SWR website...looks dead.

Is SWR gone? If yes, do they come back? Anybody know anything?
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Been covered here many times, the nails are in the coffin. Unless someone buys the name from Fender, it's history.
  3. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Only place to find new Amplites is Ebay.
  4. Voss451

Voss451

It's kind of sad to see them go that way but between Mesa, Ampeg, Markbass and a handfull of others, there's not much room. Even Trace-Eliott who were major players at one time have pretty much fallen out of sight.
  5. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

You might try Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Maryland
    They had a new Headlite in the store 2 weeks ago.
    Perhaps more SWR in one of the warehouses.
  6. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours Supporting Member

I was the Artist Rep for SWR back in the Steve Rabe Days......Absolutely LOVED my "Job".

I ordered Tour Jacket Samples back then......Always liked this one....except it was too small for me and I Never got to Wear it. :)

Attached Files:

• SWR3.jpg
      SWR3.jpg
      File size:
      104.3 KB
      Views:
  7. wneff

wneff

Sad to see SWR gone.
    Steve Rabe is such a genious. I have one of the few jazz bass pres from him (Ravenlabs) . Love it.
  8. kimokeo

kimokeo

SWR, IMO, has been dead ever since Fender purchased it. Never was the same from the day the contract was signed.
  9. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours Supporting Member

Actually.....You'll find that in most cases, as soon as the FOUNDER leaves....it's history. The original ideas leave and things change rapidly. There are, however, exceptions...... :)
  10. 456string

456string

Guess I have to go eBay... :crying:

Guys, we should start a petition!

What's next? Fender buys Ampeg and shut it down?
  11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    Actually doesn't St. Louis music own Ampeg?
  12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Loud bought SLM......in 2005.......
  13. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Instead of Fender using SWR to make their amps better they Fenderized SWR and made them crap.

If they were smart they would have done what Mackie did when they bought EAW. If you hear a set of Mackie speakers before the purchase and compare it to a set a couple of years after you'll hear a huge improvement in the Mackie, yet EAW still smokes.

When Rabe left SWR most of the people stayed and the changes were minimal, other than a few new amps. When Fender bought them out the whole environment changed and most of the staff left. Quality control went out the door and competition did the rest. (I was friends with Mo West and got some of the inside story.) Fender pretty much has no vision and are content making the same thing over and over.

I think MarkBass pretty much took over where SWR left off.

A petition won't change anything. It comes down to is the division making money. it wasn't so Fender shut it down and signatures on a piece of paper won't change it.

And yes, St Louis owns Ampeg. (for got about loud.)
  14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Similar thing happens in the industrial instrumentation & controls world.
    Innovators eventually sell out to one of the BIG COMPANIES and if the product remains, the after-the-sale service goes away.

There's an older Henry here that will most likely not get sold because it sounds great and there are no more made.
  15. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure we can add Genz Benz to the list of great bass amplification companies killed off by Fender alongside SWR. I'm curious as to why a company would acquire a viable brand with a killer RnD dept, and a real knack for giving players what they want just to put on the shelf....tax write-offs?
  16. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Can't forget about LOUD Tech, they own Ampeg (from SLM), Mackie, EAW among others.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fender gave SWR a good 10 year try and even reissued the Redhead and lured Marcus Miller back from EBS to promote a line of stuff. But it fell out of favor in the mid 2000's and never fully recovered.
  18. Wyattsgroove

Wyattsgroove

Sent you a pm as to where there is a brand new amplight unit on sale.

Regards,
    Wyatts
  19. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

The vituperative animosity towards FMIC from people who don't know history used to be amusing, but has gotten annoying. Steve Rabe left SWR well before FMIC bought them, and the company was going down in innovation and market share already. FMIC kept them going much longer than was reasonable financially.

Eden already had CS issues and inability to provide products to dealers well before US Music bought them; Genz-Benz was purchased by Kaman years before FMIC acquired Kaman; Ampeg's been at least four companies, and has had long periods of disrepute under several; Sunn went under; Ernie Ball bought Music Man's patents at a bankruptcy sale. Companies change, deal with it.

John
  20. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification

There's a long thread about the Genz deal.